zf 5spd towing

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
OP where do you shift, I know so many people that believe that diesels shouldnt be taken above 2000 rpm and they are made to be driven on a "lug point" my dad will tell you exactly this but I have much better results movin my shift points on up to 2700-3000 and letting her roll. I dont remember the exact figure but someone one put a link to the r&d testing that these engines went through and it was all on the governer. the governer is in the ip for a reason, use it.

I'd like to see the r&d thing. Wouldn't make me feel so bad driving my truck with my foot up its ass.

wmoguy

Reaction score
I'd like to see the r&d thing. Wouldn't make me feel so bad driving my truck with my foot up its ass.

Me 3. My rear was puckered tight holding mine at 3k for a 30 mile stretch with 5ver and 2nd trailer in tow a few weeks ago.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2500 up to and over 3000 rpm is the sweet spot in mine wen loaded down.
Empty I shift at about 2000, loaded I shift at about 3000.
With my 5er in tow, anything under 2000rpm is pointless.
It pretty much means that you're 1 gear lower than usual all the time when loaded.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
2500 up to and over 3000 rpm is the sweet spot in mine wen loaded down.
Empty I shift at about 2000, loaded I shift at about 3000.
With my 5er in tow, anything under 2000rpm is pointless.
It pretty much means that you're 1 gear lower than usual all the time when loaded.

I'll only shift to 5th after I pass 55 MPH on a flat stretch

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive mine like I stole it when pulling. Shifting between 2500 and 3k is pretty normal. Plus I generally have a little more boost between shifts which seems to help keep her rolling easier.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
OP where do you shift, I know so many people that believe that diesels shouldnt be taken above 2000 rpm and they are made to be driven on a "lug point" my dad will tell you exactly this but I have much better results movin my shift points on up to 2700-3000 and letting her roll. I dont remember the exact figure but someone one put a link to the r&d testing that these engines went through and it was all on the governer. the governer is in the ip for a reason, use it.

That depends entirely on the engine. If you are driving an old big 6 cat then you stuff your foot in it and let it fall down to 1200 and chug there. Same holds true for a lot of the newer class 8 engines that like to run between 12-1400 rpm until the bottom falls out before dropping a gear, but not for an older mid range v8 which is what we have. You have to be careful when comparing apples to oranges.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I worked for a guy in 1992. He had 2 IDI's back then and a 1970's Mack R600 single screw dump. He was in his early 50's then, took amazing care of all his equipment and never "beat" on anything. He had plenty of iron, Deere dozer, backhoe, Bobcat, 2 excavators, wheel loader, roller, the list goes on.

I drove his IDI's for what they were worth, not afraid to use all the pedal with him right there in the passenger seat of his own truck. He would light up a stogie and say "Johnny, I really like the way you drive this here truck." I do know that truck was on its 3rd E4OD at 285,000mi and the original engine was going strong.

I drive my truck easy for fuel economy sake and I am usually empty. When I am hauling, towing or just plain want to get somewhere, I am NOT afraid to use the skinny pedal:sly

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you guys shift at 2 gran empty? i usually shift at 1500?....empty, i dont really haul anything.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
If I am just putt puttin around town I will shift at 16-1800 rpms and ease in to the throttle in the next gear, but If I fell like getting somewhere in a hurry, rpm governer here I come

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
If I am just putt puttin around town I will shift at 16-1800 rpms and ease in to the throttle in the next gear, but If I fell like getting somewhere in a hurry, rpm governer here I come

It seems like I only glance at the tach after the fact, so couldn't really tell you my shift point rpms.. From a seat of the pants aspect though, I'm like you and ease into throttle & next gear in city traffic- call it halfway to two thirds up the torque curve. When getting on the highway though, it's the top of the curve every gear.:peelout

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online