zf 5spd towing

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have towed an enclosed trailer with a jeep and four quads with fuel and tools weighing about 10k all together. my truck is 7.3 with turbo, fuel mods, zf, intercooler, and 3.55 gears and it had no problem. after I get it rolling alittle, forward momentum, I dump the clutch and stand on it grab second at 2500 rpm for quick shift. then all the way through the gears I don't grab the stick again till it hits 3000! guys seem to forget that these thing make power when you wound them up. take it to the governor!

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gonecrazy- your not too terribly far from me, about 75 miles... i was up your way this past sunday in Tavares picking up an 84 ramcharger for my buddies dad...

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ZF5 works great towing.
The only issue I have is the big jump in RPM when downshifting from 3rd down to 2nd while towing; but if my NA IDI wasn't such a slug, it wouldn't be an issue.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we should do a central FL get together sometime.. i was right up off of 19 in tavares, next time i will try to know ahead of time and make a quick pit stop to say hi flareside..

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
4:10's puts you at 2400rpm's@75MPH give or take. I always get 14mpg's and have approached 20 on the interstate. I'm hoping for a Gearvendors or a Brownie in the future. I definitely do not do enough empty highway running to warrant 3:55's. I do like the sound of 4:56's and a GV or Brownie for heavy hauling.:sly It really is about customizing the truck you drive to fit your needs. Sounds like 4:10's would work for you.;Sweet

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I have towed an enclosed trailer with a jeep and four quads with fuel and tools weighing about 10k all together. my truck is 7.3 with turbo, fuel mods, zf, intercooler, and 3.55 gears and it had no problem. after I get it rolling alittle, forward momentum, I dump the clutch and stand on it grab second at 2500 rpm for quick shift. then all the way through the gears I don't grab the stick again till it hits 3000! guys seem to forget that these thing make power when you wound them up. take it to the governor!

Agreed;Sweet:peelout

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
The only complaint I have about the 460 ZF5 is the 3rd to 4th jump when up-shifting. It has about a 700-800 RPM jump instead of the 500 RPM jump in all the other gears. The granny low first is nice for jerkin' stumps though :thumbsup:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only complaint I have about the 460 ZF5 is the 3rd to 4th jump when up-shifting. It has about a 700-800 RPM jump instead of the 500 RPM jump in all the other gears. The granny low first is nice for jerkin' stumps though :thumbsup:

Yeah, that gap is not fun with a load behind you. I just give it a few hundred more RPM before grabbing 4th.LOL

Heath

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score

Yeah, that gap is not fun with a load behind you. I just give it a few hundred more RPM before grabbing 4th.LOL

Heath

I figured the 4th-5th gear jump would be worse at 76%

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
4th to 5th isn't any worse than before. I didn't notice any difference at all between the two OD's

That is because they are the same rattio. But that is the biggest gear jump

I mis spoke. the 1-2 shift is the biggest gear jump, but the 4-5 shift is the highest percentage difference

Last edited:

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds good guys, i will look at the 4.10 gears... or there about,4.56s even, gonna take into consideration also i want to upsize in tires next fitting too, really looking at the 11.00/16 Michelen XZLs, look awesome and good traction off road.. just need a lil lift to clear them 1st...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online