ZF-5 removal

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey One idea to maybe help stop the tranny from falling to the ground. I've pulled my transmission a couple times using ratchet straps. I'll put a couple ratchet straps over the top of the frame rail and under the transmission. That way you can beat on the transmission and if it does come loose it won't hit the ground. Good luck biggest problem I've had with transmissions is getting them busted off of the engine. One other thing I've done is make sure all the bolts are out and push on the clutch pedal. Sometimes the slave cylinder pushing on the throwout bearing will help seperate the transmission from the engine. As stuck as it is I doubt that will help, but worth a shot. Also douse the joint with lots of PB blaster or another good penetrating oil?

Good Luck!!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do, just be real carefull here. That bell housing is alluminum and very unforgiving.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
Well, figured out the problem. The geniuses at Ford mated aluminum and steel with no seperation between them, causing oxidization to occur very ****** at the joint. The passenger side dow pin was oxidized into the bellhousing and formed a knida weld between the two. Afterwe fought with it for 2 days, we decided to bring in the BFH gave it a few whacks and the dow snapped off inside the block with about 3/4" of it sticking out of the bellhousing cookoo. Luckily, we didn't have to hit it hard enough to crack the bell ;Sweet

Does anyone know where I can get input shaft bearings/seals and a throwout bearing (it's completely toast)?

Also, I will be doing the Lucky Mod since the DMF decided to eat itself a few days before the tranny gave up the ghost. Does anyone have any suggestions other than what the tech article says?

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, figured out the problem. The geniuses at Ford mated aluminum and steel with no seperation between them, causing oxidization to occur very ****** at the joint. The passenger side dow pin was oxidized into the bellhousing and formed a knida weld between the two. Afterwe fought with it for 2 days, we decided to bring in the BFH gave it a few whacks and the dow snapped off inside the block with about 3/4" of it sticking out of the bellhousing cookoo. Luckily, we didn't have to hit it hard enough to crack the bell ;Sweet

Glad you go it out, but it sucks that the dowel was destroyed in the process. I'm a fan of putting a bit of antisieze (or grease at a minimum) on those dowels. I'd recommend doing that when you put the ZF on your truck.

Heath

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
We're not worried about the dowel because we are going to be using the same casing just with different internals. The reason is so that we don't have to change the shims to accompany the old input/output to the dimensions of the new case. I guess the simple way to say that is we took all the gears off the shafts in the new trans and put them onto the shafts from the old trans, now the old shafts with new gears will go into the old case. So shims should be able to stay the same correct?

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
And since I know yins want to see it, Pics of the carnage

Bell housing
You must be registered for see images attach

Block

How far the engine had to drop. The side pipe used to be tucked up nice and tight with the frame, now it's about 3" from the ground

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're not worried about the dowel because we are going to be using the same casing just with different internals. The reason is so that we don't have to change the shims to accompany the old input/output to the dimensions of the new case. I guess the simple way to say that is we took all the gears off the shafts in the new trans and put them onto the shafts from the old trans, now the old shafts with new gears will go into the old case. So shims should be able to stay the same correct?

Do you have a ZF5 service manual? These are a bit more complex than the T-19. The bearings need a certain preload as well. It's hard to know if swapping all that over will keep things the same. Why do you need to swap all the gears to the old shafts and case?

Heath

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
Yep, I have the service manual. The reason for swapping everything is because of my own stupiidity and jumping into a deal without doing some research first. Everything in my current trans was ready to explode. So, I bought a 2wd trans, 7.3 Factory turbo IDI, and got the turbo for $700 as a package deal. I thought, "Oh, just swap the tailshafts, that's simple enough", Well, now you see where that got me :rolleyes::mad:. I know the 2wd internals are good so I'm putting them into my 4wd case.

Is that clear as mud to you?LOL I know what I want to say I just don't know how to say it, nor all the technical terms that go with it.