zf-5 in a 1985 w 6.9???

boogymonster

boogymonster
Reaction score
well i was wondering just what it woult take to put a 90,91 zf-5 in my 1985 f250 with a 6.9? any help would be great.

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
If it is a manual already I think it's almost a direct fit but I haven't done the swap and others will chime in who know.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Search titles "swap", there's many threads already.
What he said. Especially if you have a T-19 in there now, it's a very straightforward swap. You'll need the tranny, crossmember, floor pan insert, and if your truck's a 2WD, you'll want the driveshaft also (since the U-joints are different). I would recommend going straight to a single-mass flywheel setup, although that's a personal preference.

Hope that helps a bit...as 91crew said, this has been discussed at great length before. Good luck!

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
I did that same swap in the '85. It is pretty much a bolt-in swap. You dont need the X-member, you just need to move it back 2-3" and drill new holes. I re-used my driveshaft, but got new U-joints to match the new output shaft. I bought new clutch and pressure plate, and had the flywheel resurfaced. It took 2 weekends to remove old and install new trannies, taking my good ol time of course.

Ask me any questions and I'll be happy to try to answer them. I did this swap last September and put over 1k miles on it and no issues yet (knock on wood LOL)

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
You're not doing bad, farm boy, for only taking 2 weekends to do it.
It took me 7 days straight, every day after work, to convert my brown truck from 2wd to 4wd D60 front suspension.

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
Well swapping from T-19 to ZF seems to be WAY less complex than swapping whole front suspensions. To tell you the truth, I have your thread on the 4x4 swap bookmarked! I was planning on doing the same thing to the '85, hell, I even bought the truck (2nd truck in my sig :thumbsup:)! But then the older brother got dad into frowning on the idea, so now instead of using it as a parts truck, I'm using it....as a truck, with 4X4;Sweet

Since its just a new toy, I'm redoing alot on it. I've had it for a little over a week so far and I've already removed the old junk utility bed and painted the frame and dual tanks, replaced the brake lines, and replaced the voltage regulator. Today I was prepping the old bed off my '89 for paint (I'm parting that out by the way :sly) to put on the "new" truck. I want to paint it yellow with black graphics like the old boss 302 mustangs. That would look awesome IMO :D