Yet another ZF-5 question

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok fellas, I know there have been tons of discussions on ZF compatibility, but it seems most of the threads revolve around swapping from auto to ZF. My 86 is a factory 6.9, t-19, 4x4. I have a ZF 5 speed/t-case combo out of an 87? with the 4.1? first gear. Do I need anything to install this? Can I just rip out my current trans/t-case assy and install the ZF with my current clutch, flywheel, starter, and hyd slave? What say the OB?
Travis..

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you will need flywheel and clutch for ZF. you can reuse your older transfer case and shifter with some small mods to the shifter.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
curious..
my 94 7.3 clutch came with the same spline count as my 87 t-19.
i have a later model 2wd 5 speed with the same spline count as the t-19...
i know the bearing is wrong...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unless you have a DMF running a t-19 disc will ensure plenty of gear rollover noise.
the flywheel heights are different too.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watching, as I have the same setup and (if the truck holds up) will be wanting to do this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
unless you have a DMF running a t-19 disc will ensure plenty of gear rollover noise.
the flywheel heights are different too.

I'm pretty sure you couldn't as the spline count is wrong, but there is a SMF conversion for the '87 6.9 with the ZF. I'm wondering if that clutch kit wouldn't work with the factory flywheel.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can find a 11" clutch disk to fit a 10 spline 1.25" input shaft that is spring dampened you could keep the t-19 flywheel, might have gear rollover noise.
There are some issues with a 7.3 zf flywheel on a 6.9, but most do not care or want to believe it. You can PM me if you want to know.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some googlefu and actually found a blog some guy wrote about doing this exact thing, only his truck was 2wd. He used his stock flywheel, bought a single mass style (spring hub disc) clutch kit and slapped it together. He did some light modding to his crossmember and floor hump, but none of that looked like a biggy. Since his was 2wd, he had to get a conversion u-joint since the ZF has a 1350 joint and the original t-19 had a 1330, but that won't concern me. It's looking like a guy could get away with a new disc and throw out bearing if all else were good/recently replaced. This is making me feel much better about the swap.

On the transfer case, will there be any issue with the speedo using an 87 case in an 86 truck? My current t-case has the GV mounted to it (it has the adapter for the GV along with their whole upgraded rear case half). This precludes me from using the current one sans GV. Any thoughts?
Travis..

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no need for double o/d and the ratios in the close ratio transmissions are too close to effectively split. I am thinking about swapping it to my Dodge, or maybe use it in my car.

The only reason I ask about the speedo deal is that I think the 87 is electronic and I read something about different speedo gears somewhere.
Travis..

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need the ZF flywheel. It looks like it will work, but the pilot on the zf is shorter so it doesn't engage the bearing completely, which is what causes excessive rollover noise. Not sure how much potential there is for real damage and how much is just obnoxious noise, but I wouldn't take the chance. My personal experience with this is a truck I bought which had what looked like a nearly new S5-47 trans with the T-19 flywheel and clutch in it.... it made all sorts of horrible transmission noise even driving 20 ft around the yard. Same trans in my truck with a Luk SM and it's great - no noticeable noise.

To the best of my knowledge, the T-19 clutch will not bolt to a ZF flywheel. I would go with a SM flywheel setup - they're not that pricey and worth it. My preference is Luk, but others are supposed to be decent too.

Slave cylinder will cross just fine. Probably have to drill some new holes for the crossmemeber but you may get lucky with one or the other bolting in.

May have some clearance issues with the floor pan insert off the t-19 truck - the ZF is a bit higher IIRC. I know you can't use a C6 pan insert, and I think the t-19 one has the same problem but can't remember.

The 87+ t-case shifter goes through the floor pan differently so you'll need to use t-19 shifter or cut a hole in the floor pan for the later one. If you use the 86 one it'll sit a bit differently and be a bit hard to get in 4lo because of the way the boot is. I would use the 87+ setup and cut a hole in the floor if I was to do it, though you have to do something with the old hole in the floor pan and carpet.

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you will need the adapter plate that the starter bolts to, it also allows the trans to bolt to the block as the bell housing for the t-19 is different pattern than the ZF

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
you will need the adapter plate that the starter bolts to, it also allows the trans to bolt to the block as the bell housing for the t-19 is different pattern than the ZF

Incorrect. All the adapter plates on the IDI's From the 1st 6.9 to the Last 7.3 turbo is drilled exactly the same. The T-19 has a removable bell housing and the ZF-5 with the diesel bolt pattern will bolt to the engine when the T-19 bell is removed. The ZF-5 bellhousng is integrated into case. The BBF (460) ZF-5 has a different but can be drilled out to fit the diesel. Look up typ4 ZF-5 mod.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online