YAY rear main seal works! Still pissed off!!!!

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well I finally got my first working rear main seal replacement. Never had one actually work before. Atleast as far as I can tell anyway, havent actually taken it for a drive, just ran it in the drive for about 20 minutes.
All looked excellent... until it started ******* oil out the back again. This time it wasnt running down the back of the pan, but down the passenger side of the block. And boy is it a runner!
At first I figure its the head gasket, and it must be completely blown or something. But that area looks good so far. So then my gut starts to wrench, and I check the back of the valley pan. Yep. Damn turbo must be leaking from somewhere. The back of the valley pan had a pretty good pool going.
MAN! I didnt want to work on this thing anymore, especially with my frickin broken finger! -cuss
Our luck, we tore the valley pan grommet, one of the last new ones in the country, and now they dont exist. :mad:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mentioned on a different thread that you have the ATS 088 turbo system right? Thats the same as mine and I was able to use the stock valley pan grommet that is intended for the CDR extension pipe. I jambed an O ring on top of the grommet on mine for good measure to get a nice seal around the turbo pedestal, but it wasn't really needed.

Are you able to get the stock valley pan grommet?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
The 088 system is for my brown truck, but I havent installed it yet. I have me a nice little accumulation of those VP grommets. But I also have 3 '94 trucks with the factory waste gated turbo system, and thats the one in question. I dont understand why they couldnt just use the same grommet.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the id hole is way to big, grommet falls over the pedestal.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
if you could get me some grommet dimensions i might be able to tack down a standard one out of a cataloge.......

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If that's for an 088 I can't figure out why on earth a stock size vp grommet won't fit the thing , different sizes in different years :dunno I have an 088 on mine and the vp grommet fits the thing just fine cookoo . When I had the engine on the stand a few months back and rebuilt the turbo, I checked all possible combinations for clearance and such. The pedestal seal has worked fine...so far

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
i am having a similiar issue i can't seem to get a tight seal where the oil line comes up for the trubo now that i have gone to naturally aspirated