WMO two tank system return line routing idea?

8ball

Reaction score
So, my plan is to run #2 diesel in the front tank and W85 in the rear tank. FSV is inop so I'm going with manual valves. I only plan to use the #2 for startup and shutdown. I would use a 3 way ball valve for changing the feed line from one tank to the other, but is there any reason I couldn't just plumb the return line directly to the rear WMO tank? I realize that I would be putting some #2 into the rear tank via the return, but is that such a bad thing? I want to avoid contaminating the front tank with WMO, which could happen if I don't switch the return line valve over at just the right time. It would also save about $40 in extra valve/fittings cost. Thanks!

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think there's anything wrong with running #2 diesel into your wmo tank, just dilutes the wmo.
If I'm reading your description correctly, you would only return fuel to your wmo tank, you'll be surprised how much fuel
can be "transfered" between tanks in a short amount of time.
That would be a good way to make sure a person doesn't contaminate the clean fuel.
You might be filling up your #2 diesel tank more often, then expected.
I have a 3 port valve on the supply side and the return side. When I switch back to regular diesel and leave the return on the wmo tank it takes about 3-4 miles of highway speed to "clean" out the fuel system.
Sometimes when the outside temp is colder I drive more miles with the return fuel going into the wmo tank, just to be sure.
I've thought the only way to not have contamination is have a section of clear fuel line running somewhere through the cab so you can see the color of the fuel.
But then don't like the thought of a fuel leak in the cab.:puke:

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're running W85 and you're in a relatively warm place like Arkansas, why are you wanting to run dual tanks?

8ball

Reaction score
The two tank system would be for winter driving. It dips down into the teens pretty often in the winter. Just trying to cover all my bases.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I've run wmo all winter long in buffalo and don' t even always plug the truck in and haven't had any issues. I also took a road trip last year through Colrado and Utah in the winter months and didn't have any problems there either. If it's only for cold weather concerns, I'd suggest that you skip the hassle.

058hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think there's anything wrong with running #2 diesel into your wmo tank, just dilutes the wmo.
If I'm reading your description correctly, you would only return fuel to your wmo tank, you'll be surprised how much fuel
can be "transfered" between tanks in a short amount of time.
That would be a good way to make sure a person doesn't contaminate the clean fuel.
You might be filling up your #2 diesel tank more often, then expected.
I have a 3 port valve on the supply side and the return side. When I switch back to regular diesel and leave the return on the wmo tank it takes about 3-4 miles of highway speed to "clean" out the fuel system.
Sometimes when the outside temp is colder I drive more miles with the return fuel going into the wmo tank, just to be sure.
I've thought the only way to not have contamination is have a section of clear fuel line running somewhere through the cab so you can see the color of the fuel.
But then don't like the thought of a fuel leak in the cab.:puke:

As stated you might put in more d2 AND over fill the rear tank if you don't drive much. Myself I think it would work great.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can haul 130 gallons of WMO, the 7.3 chugs it all down, no one could tell if it was USDL or WMO when at a stand still idlieing.

Why hassle with valves and two types of fuels? I have not purchased a gallon of Diesel in months, dont need it whatsoever.

Javier

8ball

Reaction score
Well, you all just changed my mind for me. Now that the weather has warmed up, I'll just run it single tank for now. I'll cross that two-tank bridge if I ever start to have cold-related starting troubles. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online