Wires on IP

RustyRecycledT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i'm still trying to repair all the damage caused by sitting in a barn for several years. right now, i really only have one major issue that's hangin me up.

There are wires either coming from or going to different plugs on the IP. One appears to be a solenoid or plunger on the left side behind the throttle linkage.

The other wire goes to a plug on the right side of the IP. As yet, I still have no clue what it does.

Mice chewed through 2 wires here.

I have searched and searched and cannot find a wiring diagram to point me in the right direction. normally i would just track down the other end of the wires that were chewed in half and reconnect them. Can't do that this time. Can't find the other end of the wires. the only chewed wires nearby are the ones coming from the IP and they are different colors. ( do they connect to each other? One is Red, the other Yellow)

If anybody has a wiring diagram or can peek under their hood and look at their wires and point me in the right direction i would really appreciate it!

Attachments

• 050808_1230[00].JPG
    050808_1230[00].JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 28

RustyRecycledT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but the schematic didn't help much. It's like the schematics i already have, very vague in tha diesel dept.

The high idle manual override diagram did help a little. I at least know now that the solenoid or plunger is the Cold Idle Advance solenoid. Still unsure what the other one is though. I'm wondering if it isn't the timing advance?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when you're looking at the top if the IP, the terminal closest to you is the FSS(fuel shutoff solenoid) it's also the larger plug of the two. the terminal farthest away from you is the cold advance solenoid(smaller plug of the two and often has two wires in the plug)
hope this helps.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
when you're looking at the top if the IP, the terminal closest to you is the FSS(fuel shutoff solenoid) it's also the larger plug of the two. the terminal farthest away from you is the cold advance solenoid(smaller plug of the two and often has two wires in the plug)
hope this helps.
He don't have the plugs the mice ate them!

RustyRecycledT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
plugs are there, it's the wires coming from them that are chewed. It appears that the only one that doesn't have chewed up wires is the FSS.(maybe)

I've been all over the rest of the engine compartment
and cannot find any other wires that just abruptly end. i'm really starting to wonder if the yellow and red wire aren't supposed to connect.

sassyrel

Reaction score
plugs are there, it's the wires coming from them that are chewed. It appears that the only one that doesn't have chewed up wires is the FSS.(maybe)

I've been all over the rest of the engine compartment
and cannot find any other wires that just abruptly end. i'm really starting to wonder if the yellow and red wire aren't supposed to connect.
no--as the one for the advance solenoid--when its warm--has power cut off to it--------you could temp connect either one of the wires to the drivers side of the pump--start it--and if when its warm, if it kills, thats the timing advance solenoid wire, and the other one is the fuel shutoff wire. that wire should be hot even when the engine is warmed up---

RustyRecycledT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you betcha!

I've also done a rough drawing in paint in regards to the wiring. I colored the wires in the diagram as thy are on the truck.

The Red/Green (I love that show) wire runs down and ties into the harness with the glow plug wiring.

The Red/ Yellow abruptly ends as you'll notice in the picture as does one of the yellow wires

The diagram is laid out as if you were standing in front of the truck looking at it. obviously the 2 plugs on the right are on the IP and the other one is right behind the throttle assy.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• wiring.JPG
    wiring.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 051008_1847[00].jpg
    051008_1847[00].jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 051008_1845[00].jpg
    051008_1845[00].jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 15
  • ip1.JPG
    ip1.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

RustyRecycledT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
right behind the hose from the rad down in a hole there is a plug with two wires on it is this what you need?

Does this plug screw into the block? I looked down in a 'hole' behind the vac pump and there is what appears to be what may have been a sensor at one time. it looks like a temp sensor but without any spade terminals coming off of it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sensor or switch wise, looking at the front of the engine, from left to right, you have the cold temp switch, the coolant temp sender, and the over temp switch.