Will a 95 powerstroke zf-5 4x4 bolt up to a 94 idi factory turbo 4x4?

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
E04D is about 6" longer than the ZF5 so you need drive shafts and a new cross member iv been looking for a a cross member in the market place but still have no good luck finding one. So sorry to high jack your thread but I any one has one pm me. And if you need to reuse any 4x4 linkage you need a shorter rod from the shifter to transfer case, and the plate that bolts the shifter to the trans is different. In the swap most parts will be stamped E40D so they need to be swaped for the ones that are stamped zfm

Do you know if I would be able to use drive shafts and cross member from a truck with a 460? Or do these parts have to come from a diesel donor?

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The crossmember is the same, just needs to be remounted in a different set of existing holes. IIRC the driveshaft is 5.5" and ended up buying one from the junkyard when the local shop wanted over 500 to add and rebuild the old one.

Last edited:

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm...got pics of PTO? I'd be kind of interested depending on price and what it is.

PM me with details or my user name at gmail gets you my email to send pics to.

I took a few pics of it. It says Chelsea on the top of it, and it still mounted. I'll send them shortly. I'm not sure how much they are worth, and how I would need to properly seal the hole left in the transmission, I read something in a thread that if you remove the PTO something needs to be shimmed before you put the cover on.

The crossmember is the same, just needs to be remounted in a different set of existing holes. IIRC the driveshaft is 5.5" and ended up buying one from the junkyard when the local shop wanted over 500 to add and rebuild the old one.

That's good news. What year is the truck that you did the swap on?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you know if I would be able to use drive shafts and cross member from a truck with a 460? Or do these parts have to come from a diesel donor?

The drive shafts are the same, diesel or gasser. Just need to find a donor with the same trans/t-case and wheelbase as your rig.

Heath

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know what year range I could look for as for a doner? I have a 94 single cab 4x4. So will I only be able to look for OBS trucks? Or can I use something older?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly 87 was the year Ford started putting 1356 t-cases in their trucks. I know for certain, the 86 and older IDI's have 1345's and they have a fixed yoke on that end of the shaft. You should have a splined slip yoke on that end of your rear driveshaft. So.......... should be able to use parts from '87-'94.

Can't tell ya if the 1356 went all the way to '97 or not, but someone here likely knows for sure............. but, both of my trucks are '86 models. I do have a '91 460 F350 parts rig and I'm running the T-case and driveshafts from it in my F250 truck.

Heath

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
some late model trucks came with 1356 because of the PTO option..

PS zf5 has different ratios. more of a granny first. spaced out a little farther.

id love to hear a powerstroke rowing a close ratio zf5-42.. well ive already heard and drove in a 6bt zf5-42 truck