who needs sleeves in a 7.3

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
so im going through my 7.3 jasper rebuild that came in my truck(i'm thinking candy apple red for this one), and i noticed that the block has been bored over from a 6.9 to a 7.3. how do i know this you might ask? a couple of things, the serial number has been milled off, which leads me to believe the deck has been blocked, that and the fact that turbo 7.3 pistons fit the bores. the thing that has me concerned is the lack of sleeves :confused:. if it's good enough for a company to offer a nation wide warranty on the rebuild why can't i use it and run a waterless coolant? no water = no cavitation, right?

please enlighten me.

chris

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yep - run her... She'll be fine... The 6.9 and 7.3 were basically the same just larger diameter holes...
The cavitation can happen with any liquid - look at hydraulic systems - you know that from your line of work same as I know...

diesel4me2

Reaction score
If its a 6.9 block then it will have 7/16" head bolts. A 7.3 uses 1/2"

my 1/2 inch arp studs from russ fit just fine. drill and tap job?

If you are concerned, have the cylinder walls sonic tested to see how thick they are.
Travis..

sounds expensive, maybe i can have the wife take it to work and run it through one of the cat scan machines :D

Yep - run her... She'll be fine... The 6.9 and 7.3 were basically the same just larger diameter holes...
The cavitation can happen with any liquid - look at hydraulic systems - you know that from your line of work same as I know...

i know, i know. i'm just looking for some reassurance :sly. how thick are the sleeves, anyway? what make of metal? are they more resilient to the pressures that will be inside the cylinder?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Hello Chis.. I'm thinking you really don't have a 6.9 thats bored out and sleeved to 7.3 for several reasons. First being a 7/16 thread can't be machined out to fit a 1/2 inch thread. Secondly no shop would try and get away with something like that. Sleeveing a block wont hurt anything either but there is several sleeves available for our motors. What makes you think the block was a 6.9 at one time....

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The machinists here have assured us that you can't drill and tap a 6.9 for 7.3 bolts, as there alledgedly will not be enough material left for the threads. This, even though Timthe2Lman from TDS did just that two 2 bolt holes on his 6.9 way back in the previous decade.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris, it sounds like a 7.3 from the get go. I've run my 7.3 for the last 3+ years after boring the holes 20 over. I was just ignorant of cavitation at the time, otherwise, I'd have sleeved the whole block. I keep the DCA's up to ***** and keep a few spare IDI's in the shop.:D........... Just in case.

I say, give it a shot and keep the DCA level up to the high end of normal and call it good.;Sweet

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
There are other nameless members that have drilled out the bores on a 7.3 with no problems. So it can be done... Would you do it knowing what you know now... Probably not. Someday I will talk with Barnett about how they stroke the 7.3 to 7.9... Crank grind and bore???:dunno

diesel4me2

Reaction score
What makes you think the block was a 6.9 at one time....

the lack of sleeves in the cylinders. when i asked the machine shop about re-sleeving it, they said what sleeves? that and i have a set 144180HAWR pistons that fit. :confused:

The machinists here have assured us that you can't drill and tap a 6.9 for 7.3 bolts, as there alledgedly will not be enough material left for the threads. This, even though Timthe2Lman from TDS did just that two 2 bolt holes on his 6.9 way back in the previous decade.

so, maybe?

I keep the DCA's up to ***** and keep a few spare IDI's in the shop.:D........... Just in case. Heath

bah, i'll just jump the shark and put in a cummins if this one doesn't work out

Last edited:

diesel4me2

Reaction score
Are you building another motor or just playing with the one that you pulled out?

good to hear from you :cheers:

both :rotflmao... the motor was in the truck when i purchased it. been out since i put the purple motor in. somethings wrong with the purple motor( still burning massive amounts of oil, smokes like a train). so before the purple motor self destructs, i thought i would be proactive about it and get this one ready to go.

on edit: oh and i need you to check out here and get back to me ;Sweet

Last edited:

cetanefreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so have any of the machine shops given a reason for why the holes can't be drilled and tapped to 1/2"?

back before the higher end Cummins studs came out I drilled and tapped one for 9/16" studs, stock is 12mm. I'm not the only one that has done so either, it was almost common at one point.

I just have a hard time accepting "because you can't"

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
good to hear from you :cheers:

both :rotflmao... the motor was in the truck when i purchased it. been out since i put the purple motor in. somethings wrong with the purple motor( still burning massive amounts of oil, smokes like a train). so before the purple motor self destructs, i thought i would be proactive about it and get this one ready to go.

on edit: oh and i need you to check out here and get back to me ;Sweet

I wonder whats wrong with the purple motor???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online