Oil Pump? 7.3 PS 1995

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to determine if my oil pump is functioning properly? We leave on the 31 to haul about 2 hours away to a horse show. I noticed gauge is reading lower than it always has but still on the N in normal. Dipstick shows plenty of oil. Normal Diesel Mechanic is booked and I am picky about who works on it. 1995 F250 PS 7.3 Turbo. Not that it matters but I am a female and do not have a lot of tools. I do the easier things on my truck.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
The gauge on the dash is more of a dummy gauge, as long as the red ENGINE light isn't on, it's fine. When oil pressure is too low the engine light also comes on.
If you're concerned about it, might be time for a mechanical gauge. They're pretty easy to install.

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kind of figured the gauge was likely not reading accurately. I will look at getting a Mechanical gauge.

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all! I do not post on here often but I know I can always count on everyone to help when I do. I bought this truck 10 years ago, it had sat unused for a couple of years. It is not pretty, needs a paint job and got a new transmission 2 years ago but I love it. We are close to 360,000 and still strong. My Husband is handy in many things, but he is not mechanical, I am grateful that my Daddy taught me a lot when I was younger. I'm not afraid to try to fix it and smart enough to know when I need help.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to replace the factory oil pressure sensor with a variable resistor sensor that would make the factory gauge more relevant? I realize there's no psi scale but my gauge has been resting on the lower acceptable line for years... maybe that's all a full 12 volts would move the needle ???

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to replace the factory oil pressure sensor with a variable resistor sensor that would make the factory gauge more relevant? I realize there's no psi scale but my gauge has been resting on the lower acceptable line for years... maybe that's all a full 12 volts would move the needle ???
@Selahdoor did that in one of his amazing electronic threads. He'll see that I referenced him and hopefully chime in on the name of the thread I'm thinking about..........but it started like a mystery novel.......there was smoke..... maybe a fire....... and the detective could only find this one resistor...... and then..... well....I don't know what he did, but I remember it came out like what you want.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Converting oil pressure gauge from switch to pressure gauge...

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed gauge is reading lower than it always has
Has the engine oil been changed recently..?

If yes...what brand and type of oil did you use..?

If no...pull the stick and check for fuel dilution...

What brand oil filter do you have on it currently...?

Don't panic...but just gather info ...

The oil pumps are so robust in these machines that I would hesitate to blame them for much of anything...

Also...decades ago...I believe...Ford avoided unneccessary concern and potential litigation by making the factory guage not super accurate...

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 86 does not have the resistor on the circuit board like your 93 does.
Guess I could swap in the newer oil pressure sender w/o any mods to the Circuit Board?

Goat

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know. I also don't know if removing the on/off sending unit will disable the idiot light low oil pressure warning.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean. Are you refearing to the ICVR
(Instrument Cluster Voltage Relay) it is an on/off thing to regulate the 12V to 5V for the Oil, Temp & Fuel Gauges.
Actually think 86 was last year for it.

Goat

Black dawg

Reaction score
Not sure why he calls it a powerstroke sending unit in the video. That is the pre 87 style unit.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure why he calls it a powerstroke sending unit in the video. That is the pre 87 style unit.
Is that what's going on... When I look for a Powerstroke oil sending unit it looks nothing like the one in the video.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online