Who has Electric Fans and Tows 10000# Plus

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard that, but am not seeing it. I am sure it uses some power, why else would the factory put the clutch on it. If they could have saved a dollar on every truck they built, they certainly would. But 90% of the time unloaded, I am going along at about 1500 rpm in overdrive, and I notice no difference. Even at interstate speeds, I am doing around 2000rpm, and I am certain it's putting some drag on the engine, but I cannot even hear the roar till get up above 2200 rpm. And the only time I ever really get above 2200rpm is when I am pulling something hard in a lower gear, so it works out well for me.

My own experiences with LOCKED PINNED direct-drive fans have been likewise as franklin2's.

It never fails I mention having the fan locked and fifteen people who never drove a direct-drive fan in their life will bombard me with all sorts of reasons why I am doing something very bad that is costing me lots of un-necessary money and is making my truck weak as an old sick cat.

For many years, on several trucks, I have been regularly swapping back and forth between PINNED/LOCKED fan-clutches in SUMMER and un-molested sluggish never-engaged junk coast-along fan-clutches in WINTER.

I never notice an change in either fuel-mileage nor power.

Honestly, providing it was cool weather, if someone else switched them on me, un-beknownst to me, I doubt I would ever be aware that anything was different.

I just this week managed to find a direct-drive fan-hub that eliminates the fan-clutch and have now got it installed; now I have no more need to pin/lock any more fan-clutches.

This is on my Cummins and it will not fit the I-H. :)

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, haven't been around much since the new Dodge, but I still have my 93 in my sig. I still have the cooling issues it had last summer and I still pull ~12000# when my son hauls his horses when we have too many for my trailer.

I plan on the Rodney Rad conversion, but was wondering what kind of results heavy haulers are seeing with the electric fan setups.

Big diesel-electric locomotives have been using electric cooling fans since the beginning.

Their radiators aren't even located where road-draft can cool them.

I am fully confident that a good pair of electric fans will cool your engine as well and probably better than the stock mechanical fan.

Maybe in a perfect world the stock fan will pull a lot of air; but, in reality, it is hampered immensely by a never-works fan-clutch; and, the mechanical engine fan fluctuates speed with the RPM of the engine; low RPM = low fan speed.

An electric fan operates at a constant speed, regardless of engine RPM.

When you are poking along in a string of traffic, those electric fans are whirling equally as fast as when you have the RPMs bumping the governors.

The main advantage the mechanical fan has is the full-coverage shroud.

Myself, I would love to have electric puller fans; but, I have a drastic shortage of necessary room in front of the engine, thus making the installation next to impossible.

I have compromised by installing a direct-drive fan-hub and matching fan to do the pulling and intend to install a pair of electric pushers in front of the condensor. :)

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Been traveling for work and at a reunion, so couldn't reply before today.

The radiator is new, identical to the original but it is a 3 row instead of 4 row. For lack of obsevance, I didn't notice that until after installation and modification for IC pipes, so I couldn't return it. Also, the cooling system has been maintained, but the original formed leaks that could not be repaired.

I think I will pin the clutch to see what happens. I adjusted the coil but did not notice any difference in lockup.

I like the idea of electric fans, especially cooling transmission oil and AC at low speeds.

liddledoggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi tuckerd. i think i met you at the tennesee rally. our truck had some of the same mods at that time. i think i pull ten thousand with my travel trailer. the dually i put a travis style radiator in and that took care of my cooling problems. my 3/4 ton has dual taurus electric fans. i have only pulled in 70 degree weather on a long trip not many grades. one fan on high was more than i needed. they do make the air work better. joe

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I have heard that, but am not seeing it. I am sure it uses some power, why else would the factory put the clutch on it. If they could have saved a dollar on every truck they built, they certainly would. But 90% of the time unloaded, I am going along at about 1500 rpm in overdrive, and I notice no difference. Even at interstate speeds, I am doing around 2000rpm, and I am certain it's putting some drag on the engine, but I cannot even hear the roar till get up above 2200 rpm. And the only time I ever really get above 2200rpm is when I am pulling something hard in a lower gear, so it works out well for me.

When my clutch fan kicks in I can tell, slightly slower acceleration, and have to go about 3MPH faster to hold overdrive.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
When my clutch fan kicks in I can tell, slightly slower acceleration, and have to go about 3MPH faster to hold overdrive.

I wish I could find a clutch fan that actually works without having to pay $400 for it. All the aftermarket replacements in the $150-$200 range are junk.

When mine used to work I never had any cooling issues.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online