Old Blue: 4th life

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
So I'm gonna post some pics for starters to get a timeline goin and get us to present day.

You must be registered for see images attach

Then I "totaled" her, well totaled is a relative term used by tow yards(my stubborness and liability insurance have rebuilt things before). Bringing her home on the trailer, notice how the grill guard didn't bend, just shifted...

Managed to rip off the grill guard in the process of unloading from the trailer, yep sudden attack of frame shear had set in.

Then I removed the broken "front end"

Installed a 93 ATS turbo with the 3 inch downpipe conversion, e-fans, pyrometer probe, 4 inch exhaust, wrapped and silicone sprayed most hot pipes and snagged a napa 6637. Yep, that's right.

Different means of keeping metal out of the turbo while drilling and tapping manifold...

and began to hit repeatedly with hammers, welders, wrenches, grinders, torches, and rattle cans for a minimization of multiple body colors.

Prepped passenger side door for filler(stud welders to pull dents works absolutely badass).

New radiator

Then made this...

into this...

I'm currently working filler on my hood.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
looks good! where did you get that alluminum rad at, and what brand is it? mine needs upgraded. and my hats off to you making the cowl hood like that! that thing looks sweet!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent job! But you completely failed to address how you dealt with the mangled up frame horns and what was required to correct that. Surely that would have been one of the more difficult aspects of the project.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
He actually had a somewhat detailed description of his framehorn repair in another thread. Looks like it's coming along good man keep it up!

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
looks good! where did you get that alluminum rad at, and what brand is it? mine needs upgraded. and my hats off to you making the cowl hood like that! that thing looks sweet!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-Ro...ccessories&hash=item2c5d6a1701#ht_6992wt_1202

Comes with one of the best warranties I've found, and being tig welded it looks cool as hell.

Excellent job! But you completely failed to address how you dealt with the mangled up frame horns and what was required to correct that. Surely that would have been one of the more difficult aspects of the project.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49654

The thread was kinda old and I couldn't make it stay on the first page therefore nobody really noticed it. To quickly recap how I fixed the frame we bolted the fenders and core support up then held the frame to its body mounts and started tacking the frame. I only made it temporary as I am doing this with a 110 welder, but by the end of the week I should have a ******* box and a torch to make more permanent accommodations to a temporary fix.

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
Forgot how long bondo takes to get right, this is what I accomplished after 4 hours of sanding. I'm probably half done with smoothing it...

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
I'd rather not say, but some new toys showed up and now I'll get my frame like I want it and won't have to worry about welding it up in a few weeks with the truck fully assembled.

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
Days progress with the ******* box, some of the welds aren't pretty but I guarantee they made full penetration.

First time to weld on the bottom of something

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gonna hit full speed even if I hit the wall.

It looks like you may have hit something nearly as bad as a wall.

Your progress is looking good, how many hours do ya have in it so far?

I just ask about that same rad in another thread, I sure hope I get a little feedback since I need one in the truck by a week from fri.

BTW.....The hood is looking nice.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
what rods are those? almost look like a 6010 or other splatter rod. those arent the best rods to withstand vibration but they should hold. 7018 is by far the best rod for holding most general repairs but splatter rods seem to be easier to work with

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what rods are those? almost look like a 6010 or other splatter rod. those arent the best rods to withstand vibration but they should hold. 7018 is by far the best rod for holding most general repairs but splatter rods seem to be easier to work with

I was also wondering what rod you were using. yes a 7018 would be preferred...

on a side note, you shoulda just thrown a 4x4 frame under it. lol

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting closer and closer. That's what I like to see....... someone who will put the effort into getting one of these old Ford IDI's back on the road. I love a good project myself.... Keep us posted on the progress.;Sweet

Heath

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online