White smoke, no power, lots of air at Schrader valve??? *new'ish motor

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I guess it's possible but I was very careful and it's getting fuel. And it wa getting way more fuel. Then I left it sit a few days in the garage and came back and now it loses it's prime all the time and always has air!

Sounds to me like at a minimum you need to check/redo the return lines and caps and such...don't use those goofy worm gear clamps on return lines...just the nice little spring ones are needed...could you have a crack in a cap and not be seeing fuel and getting air in it...a while ago someome posted a video on air intrusion...showing how to determine if/where air was getting into the system.

If that pump arm is on top the cam..it will pump...just not much..just saying...If you are comfortable it's ok...then by all means go with it.

Maybe BYPASS the mechanical pump...replace the fuel line from the metal feed line at the pump stick an electric in there...and then pump up to the fuel filter...Or bypass the filter...if you get air still...then it's gotta be before the electric pump....

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well a guy I go to church with teaches diesel mechanics at the local technical college and he said it sound like in getting air intrusion AND possibly a stuck injector. He's gonna test all my injectors (8 in the motor and 8 spares) for free and I'm gonna swap out the fuel pump and install a clear fuel filter in the line before the pump to see if for some reason I'm getting air in from the tank.

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I pulled all the lines and injectors. All the injectors still had all the silver neverseeze on them except one....the rear passenger side injector was coal black?!?! It was the only injector that the copper washer stuck in the hole. All the rest came out with the injectors. Any ideas?

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I advanced the timing a little (I'm assuming), changed the fuel pump, changed one of the 3/8 rubber lines and installed a clear filter in place of the water fuel sep. Pull starting took a few laps around the field but finally fired up. Idles nice and smooth, still smoking white but not as bad BUT still is hard to pull out of it's tracks. It just has no power an the exhaust will burn your eyes. Also I'm getting just a little air from the tank I think because I let it run for about 30 minutes and the air pocket just kept growing in the clear filter. I just don't understand the sluggish part??? Schrader valve had way more fuel than before and I advanced the timing. I even rebuilt the brake caliper that was sticking.