Which cummins? 12v or 24v

boostedretard

Reaction score
You can find 7.3 psd obs truck for cheaper than a running Cummins. You also have the ability to adjust different tunes on the fly and a good aftermarket base. Since your idi is still running might want to try and fix it first. What are your boost pressures? More boost could keep it cooler.

focker

Reaction score
I would go with the 2nd gen cummins with the ppump they have more power than the ve's but they are good also.
Another thing is the price ve cummins motors are alot cheaper than the ppumped ons.

I have read through this thread and i will tell you stock for stock a 94 cummins vs a IDI the cummins will out perform it and get alot better mileage.

Now with that being said i have been looking for a obs power stroker lol.
Even though i love my cummins i just want a older nicer truck and if you fine a older nicer cummins then you have to pay big money.That is not the case with the obs trucks

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got mine done yesterday. I took it up hills they town up the highway. All over. I was an IDI diehard. Basically I'll never own one again. This 12v is ridiculous. I haven't even gotten into injectors or messing with the pump. U will not regret it if u make the switch

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I will ask this...what did you have to give for that cummins. I know you said it was a good deal.

There is someone local to me selling a p pumped engine, 190,000 miles for 1600.

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I will ask this...what did you have to give for that cummins. I know you said it was a good deal.

There is someone local to me selling a p pumped engine, 190,000 miles for 1600.

Got pretty lucky on this one. Guy was getting married. So he was selling off his toys. The motor and trans was 13 hrs away from me in Tennessee. By chance about 3 miles from a good friend who knows his way around a cummins. He looked it over and gave me the go ahead. Rebuilt 1997 ih cast 5.9 with marine pistons. Ppump has Shaved fuel plate and 4k gov spring. Also included was g56 trans with brand new south bend clutch and D273 tcase. Near perfect wh1c and new starter. All for $4000

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I originally only wanted from the clutch back. I already had my rotary pump engine. He wanted $2500 fr all that. He said gimme 4 and take it all. So essentially I got a rebuilt rotary pump 12v for 1500

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The P pump hype is just that. Yeah, you need one if your going tractor pulling, but the hottest 12V Cummins I have worked on here is one with a VE rotary pump we built for a guy. That thing would set you back in the seat in overdrive! VE pumps are far more affordable than a P pump. A P pump is great, until the cam or plungers and barrels start going. You don't want to hear $2200 for a rebuild on your P pump. They share engine oil, so fall victim to the same fate as the engine if your oil change practices are not good. The VE lubes with fuel only, so it stays much happier. VE's are used in everything, and I do mean just about everything. P pumps have a much more limited application list. The are big and clunky, and much less fun to work around.

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear that while not capable of the insane horsepower numbers that u can squeeze out of a p-pump the VE pump does offer better fuel economy. And u can still get plenty of usable hp as well. Most of us will never need the hp/torque numbers that alot of people seem to want from a diesel, whether it be VE/P-pump Cummins, PSD or duramax. I will say that having plenty of hp/torque on demand is a good thing, just for the"average Joe" not necessary.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned a few trucks and IMO 300whp is plenty for a daily driver. I had a common rail cummins with 380whp and it was a fun truck but ya got to pay to play. I can do a lot to the IDI for what just the CP3 cost in that truck.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
regarding the high temps while towing, have you tried turning down a flat on your pump?

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Regarding the high temps while towing, have you considered water injection or water/methanol injection?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Intercooler is installed. I am also going to find a newer bumper with the cutouts. Going to try and get more airflow over this radiator.

After that, I might go the route of Heath and look into the Garrett turbo mel sells. Heath reported 200 degree lower EGTs, resulting in lower coolant temps as well....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online