Which cummins? 12v or 24v

big jake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not do the conversion, I bought it that way. My engine is out of a 96 with the P-pump rated at 235 hp. The trans is out of a later truck with NV5600 6 speed manual. Front axle is a 90 Ford F350 Dana 60 and the rear is a Dodge Dana 80, gears are 3.55s. Transfer case is NP241. It all fits and you can still have air conditioning with the Dodge compressor running the stock Ford system.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May have covered this, but what thermostat and what radiator are you running? Not all are created equal.

I'd bet you have the motorcraft thermostat, but if say you have a two row radiator (these came with 4 rows I believe), with that type load it could be your problem.

Only threw that in here since you havnt given up on fixing it yet. Can't personally tell ya much on the cummins swap, but will be watching the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New champion aluminum, and a new motorcraft thermostat. New motorcraft water pump. I am going to put the hole in the front bumper like a stroker has and see if I can get some airflow. If that won't make it better, I am going Rodney red radiator.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man that thing shouldn't be getting hot.. Figured you knew what was up if you were considering a cummins swap. Gotta know what you're doing to pull that off haha. Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
So, the 24 v cummins are all computer controlled? Do they have an injector pump like the older 12 v's just computer controlled? I have got to so some research here.

24 valve runs a VP44 injection pump. It require some electronics for it to function. Its expensive to replace and its not as reliable as the old P pump.

Easy fix for the electronics on that over valved engine(24V)

P pump and some 12 valve parts. Now you're ready to make some power.:D

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is what I pull.

In 95 degree arkansas weather.

You must be registered for see images attach

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This site is extremely bias towards the idi. Which I am not knocking. I loved mine. But they are apples and oranges. Time to go direct injection. The 12v is the most used most popular engine for a reason. It's not voodoo. Put the 12v in there and intercool it and never look back. If u go dt360 it's a great idea but the aftermarket coverage is not as prominent as the cummins yet. Carson stauffer diesel is producing the zf5 and p-pump adapters now if u want to go that route. Ide say stick with the easiest. That's what I did.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and encouragement. I will be watching your build very closely. Looks like the all dodge way with the transmission too might be the right way to go money wise.

I think a 12 valve with a p pump will be the way to go.

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even a tuned up rotary pump will walk all over an idi. U don't have to fall for all the p-pump hype. I'm using a p-pump bc it was already on the engine when I bought it. But ide just as soon use my rotary pump 12v.

cviola2005

6.2/6.5 Detroit Nut
Reaction score
Since you are still considering fixing the IDI, have you trying looking through your A/C condensor? Maybe its a bug cemetery?

Last edited:

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could just put a ve pump on a 24 valve. Ultimate simplicity lol. My brother just did one, very unique sound for sure.

My 91 has 3.08 gears with a 727 on 38s and will easily walk away from my idi, even with a sloppy tc. But she does get pretty hot when running her hard with a loaded trailer.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is what I pull.

In 95 degree arkansas weather.

Seems like your cooling system should be able to cool your truck with that trailer. I'd change the thermostat one more time and look closely at the entire cooling system for anything out of the ordinary. Not saying going to a Cummins is a terrible thought, just thinking I'd want to fix your current set up as I think your truck should be plenty capable of pulling that trailer.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Condenser is surprisingly clean. I did replace it 2 years ago when I bought the truck. Not pulling, this truck stays at 195 all day, no matter how long or fast you drive. Hook a load and get the EGT's up to 900, it goes right up to 235.

Going to go back to the factory fan clutch(new) and see how it does.

Not like I have the money to do this tomorrow anyway, just want to make a plan, ya know!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online