Where to hook up gauges?

Preems14

Reaction score
I went out and bought a water temp, volts and oil pressure gauge and im having troubles hooking them up. I dont know a whole lot about installing them but i wanna learn myself. So where do i find where to plug it all into on the engine. and it says splice into my light dimmer for the lights in the gauges and i got to the fuses but am having trouble finding where to find power. Sorry im a noob but its my first vehichle and im ready to learn anything.

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use a volt meter, or other item, like a 12 volt light bulb, and ground it to a good place, like brake pedel. Turn on your key, and touch one end of your wire till you get power/light. Than turn the key off, and test. You want any fuse spot that give power while key is on, and no power while key is off.

Hope this helps.

Marq

Preems14

Reaction score
how do i get my wire into the fuses...i find it hard to get back in behind there and i tryed to pull out the whole thing but wires are holding it back

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not real sure to be honest, yours is a bit different than my 90. But, there has to be a wire under your dash that meets your specs. Can you reach the connector to your wiper switch, sig lighter, or stereo??

Preems14

Reaction score
i just installed a new deck today in my truck so the stereo wires arent a problem for me to get at. So would it be possible to get my power from the deck?

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I would tie into the power you use to run your deck. You had to splice it, use that. The gauges do not use enough current to worry. Now, if you were to power an amp, or another item that used more amps (current), I would not use it. But you should be fine.

Marq
Boise, Idaho

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe you would use the stock location, and plug your set up, and disconnect them. Let me check out my diesel manuel, I'll be back . . .
Marq

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, the water temp sending unit is located on the front of the head on the drivers side, right near the corner, below the valve cover, . . .

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And, there are several for the oil pressure, but I think the easy one, is going to be on the oil cooler housing, right above the oil filter, check it out.

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The eletrical gauge is going to depend on whether you have a volt or amp gauge. Does it show the amp draw, plus and minus, or does it show the voltage of the alt charging??

Marq

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess if anything, you could pull the power from under the hood. I was just looking at the glow plug relay; that would be a good spot to run an amp and/or volt gauge, it has a good size wire, and you know it has enough amps to run glow plugs, it will give you power to run gauge lights, and give you a place to operate your gauge itself.

Marq
Boise, Idaho

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin