where does this wire go?!

73Vince

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
hello everyone, Im relatively new to the oulburners forum but I've had my truck for about a year now. it's a 1990 f350 7.3 n/a 4wd. it's been converted to 4wd using f250 parts though, but that's besides the point. anyways, I've been looking around my engine compartment and I can't figure out what this wire connects to! does anybody else have this wire or am I just special? It seems to connect to wires that go to the ip, fuel filter and gp's. thanks, any input appreciated

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like it's the water in fuel sensor to be connected to the bottom of the fuel filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That is what that wire is. Try crimping it with a pair of pliars to keep it on the water in fuel sender. Mine comes off all the time too.

73Vince

Reaction score
awesome, thanks. it seems that the fuel/water seperator I have doesn't have a spot to connect the wire to. do I have the wrong filter?

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should have a little metal thing sticking down from the bottom of the fuel filter that it slides onto. Mine comes off all the time.

UMR_Engnr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your filter has a place for the water sensor. The offwhite plug in this pic, is removed:

And one of these screws in its place:
You must be registered for see images

The connector slides onto the right side in the pic, which is the bottom when installed.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please replace that filter with something other than Fram.. They are absolutely the worst filter for fuel or oil you can buy. This fact has been proven over and over on this and many other forums. I prefer the Motorcraft filters but others will be ok too. Just a note on the buggered return line you have. Off the filter top you really need to reinstall that line with the 2 hose clamps to any place in the return line. I just installled a Tee between number 1 and 3 injector but you can do it where the other hose clamps are. Reason the filter has this line for returns is as the filter gets air in it without a return line all that air MUST go thru the injection pump. With a mechanical fuel pump it makes it hard to get the air out when changing filters. Long cranking kills the batteries and starter. If the fuel tank suction pickups are broken then the tank runs dry at 1/4 taNK. You never can suck the last 1/4 tanks so many run out and then you are cranking usually till the batteries die or the starter dies. These engines are happy when they are set up correctly.