where does this go?

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a picture right now, but I'm buttoning everything up right now on the truck, but the hard fuel line running from the pump back to the tank I'm having a hard time remembering what hooks into it. the part that confuses me is the two nipples on the end that doesn't connect to the pump. Do they get hooked into the return line with the given hose? Any diagrams or advice much appreciated

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Is it a single tank or the two tank setup?

I'm not sure what you mean by two nipples. Are they on the tank sending unit?
If so, you should have a nylon or rubber line between the metal line and the nipple.
Same for the return line, From the back of the engine.
(For single tank setup)

That's if it's anything like my 88. But had nylon lines all the way up to the engine. With a metal line by the lift pump.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
The description is a little vague. I was thinking he's describing the return line connex at the rear of the engine?

If that's the case, the hard line connects to the IP, clamps down on the DS head and runs to the rear of the engine. The connector on the rear with the 2 barbed nipples accept the return lines from each head.

I'd suggest replacing the olives on both ends of this line now. It's much easier when it's off the engine. And you'll prolly end up having to change them anyways.

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The description is a little vague. I was thinking he's describing the return line connex at the rear of the engine?
Rereading it, I believe you're right.

So depending on the exact setup, one comes from the injectors, the other goes to the tank. Or one I worked on had one from each bank, then to the tank. IIRC.....

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. sorry for the vague description, I was up for over 24 hours And finally had to quit working on the truck when my eyes were crossing lol. I think you're right, from the back of the pump, the end farthest from the radiator, there is a hard line going back that hooks into a rubber line that goes to the tank. The metal line stops on the drivers side towards the back of the head. It has a fitting with two nipples coming out perpendicular to the line. I will try what you guys said, thanks

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also lost a frost plug, or whatever its called on the drivers side near the oil pan I believe, I will need to get one of those as well, anything special about them?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I also lost a frost plug, or whatever its called on the drivers side near the oil pan I believe, I will need to get one of those as well, anything special about them?

Wowa there... How are you looseing a freeze plug. Did you replace them or what. Now if you replaced any or all of the plugs what type did you use.. Read this and be clear what it means.. Use only the factory stainles steel freeze plugs and use the special tool to install them. Useing the other brass or steel plugs will not work. Only the factory made set of 7 plugs will do the job. Also these plugs need som sealant applied to the edges or they will leak.. I found this out the hard way and it really costs me dearly like another rebuilt engine... Long sad story too.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

YES YES there is lots special about those.

ONE you must USE FORD or IHI only stainless plugs

TWO you must use the CORRECT TOOL for installation

THREE YOU MUST FOLLOW ONE AND TWO!

The tool is very hard to get a few members here have them, there is a very good drawing available too if you have access to a lathe and can fab the two part tool up.

This maybe a PULL engine and replace plug issue!

Just sayin...it's a beaitch

Al

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online