Wheel studs

71IDI4x4

Reaction score
Need some help with this 71 Ive got guys. I was drivin through town last thursday and heard a pop from the front end, didnt think nothin of it just figured I ran over a can or somethin in the road. Well turned around to go get fuel and the truck started shakin bad at about 40 mph figured a wheel bearing gave out so I slow er down to a crawl to try and get it to my storage unit which is 3 or 4 miles away. After crawlin at 5-10 mph I get it to the gate and just as I go to open the gate the right front wheel falls off truck hits the ground im not a happy camper at this point. Walk to the storage unit get my bronco out and bring a floor jack to use as a temporary wheel to get the truck out of the way of the gate. Get it moved and look at what happened turns out half of the wheel studs are sheared off the other half are knockin around the inside of the drum. Get the hub/drum assembly off and what do I find. Some idiot PO got the wrong size studs and was too lazy to take em back and get the right ones. Idiot decides to weld the damn studs to the hub no penetration on the welds at all. So I grabbed another hub/drum off a 72 parts truck I have in that storage unit got the truck in and havent looked at it since. What I was wonderin is are the studs on that 72s front axle strong enough to hold the weight of that diesel. I ask because i went through the axle on that 72 with new kingpins, bushings and seals. Front axles are both closed knuckle 3/4 ton D44s. Front of the truck weighs 3800 pounds. I might also have a line on a d60 out of a 79 but dont have money for it.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the PO was a lousy welder. :eek: Prolly should have been 9/16" studs and he put in 1/2" studs.
Just thank the good Lord it didn't happen at 60 MPH. That wheel is prolly junk now if the holes are wallored out. If the hub isn't damaged, you can prolly get the correct studs and drive/press them in.

71IDI4x4

Reaction score
Yeah he wasnt a good welder at all. I figured thats what id do with the studs but I didnt know if the hub/ studs are ok for that kind of weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5

Members online