What's Your Favorite Coolant Heater?

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
If by chance my block heater is shot, I'd rather replace it with one of the heaters that goes in the lower radiator hose than a new block heater. What kind do you recommend? I'm not looking for the fuel fired, $300 ones, just the 110 plug ins.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one that you plumb into to the drain **** on the radiator and tee into the heater hose. It would heat the radiator up like crazy, but not the block..

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one that you plumb into to the drain **** on the radiator and tee into the heater hose. It would heat the radiator up like crazy, but not the block..

You must have put it in the wrong heater hose or installed the "y" with it facing the heater core and not the motor. I just put a recirculating tank heater on my truck, drawing from the drain fitting on the radiator and it WORKS AWESOME!!!! Couldnt like it better!

sassyrel

Reaction score
also 65--they only pump one way--so if its pumping to the rad---------i/e you may have it plumbed right--but pointed wrong--

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well It does have an arrow on the pump housing pointing upwards so thats what I did. Ireally like how quick it heats the radiator up though.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just hooked it up drawing through the drain fitting on the radiator and exits into the heater hose the goes to the cylinder head. I cut the heater hose as close to the head as possible, and made sure that the plastic y that came with the heater was pointed to the cylinder head.If you turn the y the other way it will push it into the heater core and not the motor. Also if you put it on the heater hose that goes to the water pump it wont circulate it through the motor either.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok well thats where I messed up I guess. When you say you pointed the Y a certain way what do you mean? the two ends face the heater or the head?

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
jhnlennon- Do you have a manufacturer or a model number for your pump handy? Did it come as a kit for the install or did you have to go buy fittings to plumb it in?

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went for a Wolverine engine oil heater. It installs under the oil pan and heats the oil and the motor.

4x7.3NE

Mowoodchopper
Reaction score
I have just been through the ringer with this engine heater thing! I tell you what I have learned.

If you are going to use a block heater , use the factory screw in type.

I tried a freeze plug heater from Kats , it was ok for about a week and quit.

I also tried a simple bottom radiator hose heater from Kats, worthless, they do not circulate and are very inefficient.

My other advice is do not get them off the internet, if they a bad or quit its a pain.

Last but not least, The one I ended up using and really like is a KATS tank heater.

You have to make sure its installed correctly and that you have flow!!!!

You pull cold water from the block drain plug or the bottom radiator hose.

You want to go in at a high point on the motor= head. Mine goes in on the driver side head rear.

Next you want to install it and run the truck a day or so to make sure you have the air out of it.

Next you need to check for flow, plug it in and make sure the hose gets hot right at the point it enters the head.

If not you dont have good flow and it will burn up the heater.

Mine at 0 degrees F, plug it in 1 hour it starts fine, 2 hours it starts like a 50 degree day!

One more thing the heater you linked the 1500 watt kats is the one I have.

I would recommend not using the y tube though and just plumb it straight into the head if you can.

If you use the Y tube you have to make sure you do not have a vacuum controlled heater valve, if you do you need the y tube as close as possible to the engine and pointing the right direction. The rear of a head is the most efficient place to use though if possible.

Last edited: