whats the best choice for a steering box?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seem to recall seeing something about Ford stuff being 8 degrees? So I take it GM uses the 10-degree taper then?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wouldnt know about GM.
all of the early GM stuff ive used, have been converted to heims
all of the ford stuff if messed with were 7*, but im talking about 30's &40's

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As tempting as heims are I'm not too crazy about running them on a street truck that will eventually spend some miles on the salted winter roads in the great white north. TREs may not be quite as strong, but they are sealed much better, especially the ones with the silicone boots and spring-clamps on each end of said boots - them things should in theory never need any grease added to them, not that it stops me from adding some ofc, but still.

Btw still haven't gotten around to playing with home-made twist-stoppers for the TREs.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
What I wonder is if one can get a high-steer/crossover arm already reamed for the Ford stuff?

I haven't found any.

The GM TRE taped is 1.5" per foot. I can't remember the number on degrees off the top of my head, but it's not a whole number. The shafts on those are larger diameter with a larger joint at the base of them as well.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Story problem from high school right-triangle trig. 1.5" per foot is 1.5 / 12, = 1/8, = 0.125 . Draw a right triangle with the horizon, the vertical and the tapered edge. Angle we seek is the skinny angle between the tapered edge and the vertical. Tangent of that angle is the 0.125 . So the angle is the arc-tangent of 0.125, which is (this is where you whip out the calculator)..... 7.125 degrees.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin