whats the best choice for a steering box?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
application- 87 F350 4WD

it seems like theres some play somewhere in my steering.
all linkage is new-ish(8 months old), replaced column.

im fairly confident that the steering box is the culprit.

my question is...

what is the best steering box to use in these rigs, to make it "bulletproof"

looking at a red head, but is this the best option?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Head-St...754-/361252155131?hash=item541c4e6efb&vxp=mtr

440 bucks for a reman seems steep, especially with a 200 dollar core charge.

what else could i use for replacement to make sure i never have any issues?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really not much better than Redbox. Now you posted that the column has been replaced. Can you recall what the flat spring condition was between the shaft slip joint and the box? If that plastic color and spring fail you will have about 1/4 or more steering wheel play

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it was in decent condition, no slop.

the play im referring to is that every once in a while i notice that "center" of the wheels is at 1 of 2 different spots on the steering wheel,
like maybe the pinion in the box is funky.
i will be replacing the box. this is where i think the problem lies.
its not a big problem, but i want to address it before it becomes a big problem.

no other box is recommended for another option of replacement? maybe a newer ford box?
one with a bigger shaft?

i never want to encounter a death wobble like my dodge friends do.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't buy one from the parts store. I have had fitment problems with one for a Chevy and one prematurely wore out on a dodge.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to put a napa one on in an emergency and so far so good, 5 yrs ago. It was remanned in texas by prior I think and they do good work.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looking at a red head, but is this the best option?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Head-St...754-/361252155131?hash=item541c4e6efb&vxp=mtr

440 bucks for a reman seems steep, especially with a 200 dollar core charge.
Skip flee-spray and go right to the source: http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/inventory/1980-97-ford-f-series-with-2-bolt-top - a LOT less sticker shock.

Here's the difference between a RedHead box and your A1-Carbunkle Mexican-remanned FLAPS cr@p - when they open up a core to reman, they mic the "track" in the worm gear, IIRC it's to the 10,000th of an inch. Then they custom fit the worm gear with new ball bearings precisely sized to the measurement of the track. Your generic reman just uses whatever the "spec" size is for that particular model of gearbox. Or maybe one slightly bigger, to account for "average" wear.

We've got a RedHead, along with a Flaming River shaft (with real u-joints at both ends, no more rag joint) on one of our PSDs. Definitely makes a difference.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll throw my +1 in for Redhead. It's probably the single best thing I've done to my truck, it felt like a brand new truck with the new box on it. Worth every penny.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Really not much better than Redbox. Now you posted that the column has been replaced. Can you recall what the flat spring condition was between the shaft slip joint and the box? If that plastic color and spring fail you will have about 1/4 or more steering wheel play
Garry that flat spring you speak of is on the pre obs columns, correct. I don't see that on the exploded views of the obs columns. I know he changed a lot of things but I don,t know if he has obs column or not. I was interested in this because I have some play also.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
In the meantime, have you properly adjusted the over-center lash? This causes a lot of bump steer. Of course it's exasperated by worn tie rod ends, balljoints, wheel bearings, blah, blah, blah.

I would love Redhead boxes for both of my trucks. They do builds for hydro assist too.