WHATS THE BEST BODY LIFT

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
hey, im looking at buying a 2" body lift for my truck its a 1992 f250 ext cab lng box. what is the best kit to buy where i will just have to blot it in and not fabricate a whole hell of a lot. whats all your opionions...... brand and sizes and part numbers and rough price if possible? thanks

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is like asking what is the best way to die. There are ways to do it, but do you really want to go there?
Travis..

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a kit from lou4x4 on ebay, about $130. Came with everything except for brackets to lift both bumpers. You'll want one with a steering shaft extension, and should also plan on getting the correct diameter tube steel to tackweld in to support all the places where the bed rests on the frame. I don't think anyone makes a 2" body lift, you could cut down a 3", or use the 3" as is. 15 minutes with a crowbar will be needed to push the driver side firewall off the head if you do a 3". Only other thing is the shift boots, they're kind of a pain. I ended up bending my 4x4 shifter to make it work and making my own boot for the transmission shifter. Course if you have an auto you won't have to deal with that.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Performace Accessories has by far the best kit. Very well put together and good instructions. Not real sure why you really want a body lift though. They can potentially lead to problems. I put them on my lifted 2wd's because I needed the extra clearance but I wouldn't use one on one of these trucks I don't think. There are enough cheap suspension lifts out there to use. Not to mention add a leafs will get ya the 2" you desire for about the same money and a lot less work. Body lifts aren't hard but they are incredibly time consuming to do a good clean job.

DragRag

Reaction score
Body lifts really do bite the big one. If you are ging to lift, do it right, and put it on the suspension. Your bumpers will be to low front and back. The transfer case shifter will be to low in the floor, and sometimes when these body lifts are done you can't shift the shifter all the way front or back. Trust me on this, body lifts are not the way to do this. Just my past experience with them speaking here.

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
so i can do a three inch body but i will need to pry the fire wall back from the head, and i have an auto trans and i will need to extend the shifter linkage for the transfer case. i was the life to clear my tires, do have money for a suspension and also will help when installing the down pipe on the turbo. mostly just a clearance thing. and some looks as well, id rather do a three but need be ill get a 2. and as far as bumpers, it cannt be that hard to rig up something to make the go where they belong, at right hight and all.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You'll also need to modify your fan shroud with a body lift or the engine fan will whack the thing

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats why I recommend the Performance Accessories kit. They are model specific and will have everything you need to extend everything and bumper brackets most of the time. I had one on my 2wd F150 and you couldn't even tell it had a body lift unless you knew what to look for.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds crazy but my buddy uses hockey puks. I'm serious. About $1 each[ 1 inch each ] 2 inches= stack 2 of them. I know it sounds nuts but he swears by it. Please don't beat up the messenger!! LOL

Chicken_Fried

Reaction score
Sounds crazy but my buddy uses hockey puks. I'm serious. About $1 each[ 1 inch each ] 2 inches= stack 2 of them. I know it sounds nuts but he swears by it. Please don't beat up the messenger!! LOL

Some people have done these with success but a good amount of them have had the pucks crack while driving or just over time.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't know that. Maybe he never kept a truck long enough to have problems.LOL! Thanks for the info

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aight ill check them out. so if i did a 3 inch how much extra work is there involved over a 2 any one have one?

No extra work involved. A lot of people don't realize that there is more to it than just putting in the body spacers. There will be wiring that has to be moved, tranny lines, fan shroud, shift linkages, bumpers, etc... It took me 1hr to actually get the body lifted and then about another 20hrs to get everything else done to get it back on the road. Its all easy stuff but its time consuming and if you have never done it before its easy to miss stuff. I think Performance Accessories still has the model specific install instructions on there website so you could look them over to see what you are in for.