What's in your intake?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Couldn't you hook up the RDT to the exhaust (past the Y pipe) and let the exhaust pull it out? Just like a crankcase evacuation system for a gasser.

Yup, you used to even be able to get some **** little fittings to weld into the exhaust pipes that would help to get it into the exhaust flow at just the right angle for maximum draw from places like summit racing etc.

discbrks

Reaction score
Yup, you used to even be able to get some **** little fittings to weld into the exhaust pipes that would help to get it into the exhaust flow at just the right angle for maximum draw from places like summit racing etc.

Oh yeah. I put that same kit on a 302 I had in a Ranger a few years back. They say its worth a few extra h.p., but I don't think you could feel it.

So how does it benefit a diesel? Just keeping the intake clean?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To install a road draft tube, remove the CDR, block off both openings, and then install a Banks IP gear tower adapter (see the parts bin) and put a hose on it. Run it down below the engine compartment somewhere. Benefits include cleaner air for a better burn, lower cylinder temps, longer head gasket life, and especially for turbo'ed rigs, verification that you don't have a leaking turbo.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
To install a road draft tube, remove the CDR, block off both openings, and then install a Banks IP gear tower adapter (see the parts bin) and put a hose on it. Run it down below the engine compartment somewhere. Benefits include cleaner air for a better burn, lower cylinder temps, longer head gasket life, and especially for turbo'ed rigs, verification that you don't have a leaking turbo.

....seems almost tooo easy. no filter on the hose? it won't take in any dirt? doesn't dribble oil everywhere? how much does the banks IP tower adaptor run?

Thanks
-Jon

sorry for all the questions! cookoo

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
yeah, sure clean.... whatever, before you know it people will be cleaning these engines, my engine builds up heat faster due to the 2inches of oil grime on the block, it's like a greasy little blanket for engines.

least the topsides of my intake valves are getting lubed well.
top THAT moose truck

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
....seems almost tooo easy. no filter on the hose? it won't take in any dirt? doesn't dribble oil everywhere? how much does the banks IP tower adaptor run?

No filter needed. It will never suck air IN that way.

Oil dribble does occur to the extent that if you park in exactly the same place all the time you might over time make a stain. Generally speaking, most guys leak oil at the rear crank seal and are familiar with this concept already. LOL Locate your hose there, and it won't look any different. :D

I forget what the adapter costs. Somewhere around $25 last time I bought one.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couldn't you run a road draft tube from the CDR location? Why does it have to be from the IP gear cover?

You certainly could, and many have. I just am not satisfied with the mechanical retention qualities of that location. The Banks adapter is as solid as it is going to get, and is better than a valve cover adapter due to reduced oil sling.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Used to? Summit Racing stopped selling them? :(

I already have mine (it's even welded in place)...just haven't been able to get the exhaust hooked up yet...

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
So your saying you can take a hose and drop it below the engine where air will pass through and can do away with the CDR valve? Also about putting it into the exhaust pipe I would like more information on this. My CRD is about done, and Id like to know advantages to this and procedure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online