What year was the D60 front reintroduced to the F350? ZF5?

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
That axle is one of the toughest 60's ever and the easieist swap since it bolts rite in.
Ken

Agreed. You just can't beat the kingpins even though their turning radius is slightly less compared to the ball joints. Simple, strong and reliable ;Sweet

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
The ZF was expiremental in 87, atleast all the 87's that i've seen with one had a tag that read, "return to Ford after 3000 miles" I wouldn't sugest the 88 model ZF behind an IDI unless there was a difference between the gas and diesel gears, our 460 has killed it's ZF twice (not counting ******** employee trying to use reverse when being push started, we replaced it then).

P.S. it's only got 51584 miles on the entire truck.

Eason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D 60

I ordered a new 1986 F-350 for a customer in Long Island in early 86. We ordered it with a factory snow plow prep package. If I remember the truck was a medium red with tan insert F-350 6.9 diesel auto dana 60 front axle XL package no air and 3.55 gears.The truck came in and the guy paid for it and then forgot it. It sat on the lot for 6 months before he found he paperwork on his desk and got us to deliver it. There isn't no telling how many times we could have sold it while it was sitting there. I was working at Lee Motor Co. in Wilson NC at the time. Eason

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had similiar poor experiences with the very early ZF's. The 87 "expirimental" models and 88 models seamed to fail early. I think they had the bugs worked out by 89. My 89 EX-IDI F350 had over 900,000 on it before the original ZF gave out. In the end it was run out of oil and ate it's mainshaft needle bearings. I was still able to rebuild the tranny with new gears and a mainshaft.

I like to use S5-47 reverse and 5th parts in the 42's when budgets allow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin