what to do?

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Hey guy's,

I'm usually never down here but I'm trying to help my BIL who has a 99 dodge and is needing to get more power out of it.

It already has guages but nothing else... I recommended a new air intake system and 4" exhaust from the turbo out. I also recommended a edge ez comp box...

But I wasn't sure if there was something else he could be doing. I only know what to do to the Ford.. So I need your help to help him...

Can you guys tell me what he needs to do to unleash the beast within?

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
What you have listed so far will help, if he wants mild, still towable, add some RV275 injectors. For a little more $$ he should look at Don M's injectors at www.f1diesel.com. I've read good things about Marco's MAD ECM swap out as well. That typically means either shipping off his ECM for reprogramming and having the truck down for a while or finding a spare at a junk yard etc. and having that reprogrammed. Just a couple idears. ;Sweet

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
also make sure he does have a fuel pressure gauge and throw on a FASS if there's gonna be a problem keeping the fuel well supplied to the VP44.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Thanks TPC,

I will let him know... The local guy at a shop is trying to sell him a Banks kit....

I told him to just get the parts himself and do the work... Hell I'll even help him... Maybe he'll give me the motor from that 97 dodge he's got sitting in the back yard... :D

Appreciate the advice.

haz-mat19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the AFE progaurd 7 stage 1 and it made a huge difference, about 1 mile increase. The f/p gauge is a must. Does he have an auto or manual, if it is an auto have get atleast a valvebody upgrade. The trans is the weak link. See ya :popcorn

Billysgoat

Rolling Smokeshow
Reaction score
Tell him to veer away from the Banks kit, they make good stuff but it's high as a cat's back. The AFE like Haz has or a BHAF, Comp Box, 4 or 5 pipe out the back and a set of 275's will make a for a really good power level from that truck.

Now, does it have a slushbox or a handshaker?? if the 5spd he should be okay for a while, but the stocker is gonna start slipping, plan on a clutch down the road. South Bend is my favorite, others I know talk highly of the Luk line of clutches.

If a slushbox plan on a valvebody fairly quickly, with the Comp alone you are at tranny toasting power levels. Support the power before you get it.

As for the fuel, yes, you can go Fass, or you can go cheap with a pusher pump on the frame rail. I have a Holley Blue pusher that has been working fine for over 6 months but is starting to get a bit weak, the fass seem to last for a while.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Yes it's an auto... It was recently replaced and has a tugger kit in it... I think it was modded before he got it because it has all the guages... but who knows for sure... .

I don't think he has a fuel pressure guage... I know his a-piller is Trans, Pyro, & Boost.

What is the Fuel pressure guage for? Does the computers turn up the fuel so high that they cause a problem... or is just a way to establish wether the injectors are getting enough fuel? Also is there a mod to turn up the fuel pressure like on a 12 valve? If so how?

Thanks for all the info guys...

Mark Craig

Advertising Sponsor
Reaction score
Dieselmaster,

The best safe mod is to get the gauges, intake, and exhaust with an EZ or van Aaken box and a set of NEW Bosch 275RV injectors. The truck will perform and he will be amazed at the difference from the stock operation. Give us a call if you have any questions, we stock all of these parts and can help you with any info you need.

Mark @ DPPI

MLR

Reaction score
He needs that fuel pressure gauge to make sure that the VP44 (injection pump) is getting enough fuel to cool it. The lift pump on these trucks are know to be a week spot. If the pressure drops to low the odds of the IP living a long happy life drops dramatically, especially with fueling enhancements. As for turning up the fuel the only way to do that is with a chip of some sort. Unfortunately there free power mods are a thing of the past.

HTH
Max

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Mark,

Thanks... I will give him your number... I was sending him DI's way because I didn't really know of anyone for good Dodge advice.... I have dealt with Dave on my truck but nothing involving Dodges...

I will definatly let him know about you....!

Thanks again

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Max,

Thanks for the info on the injection pump... That makes sense on what your saying... I will let him know... He is going to be using the truck for pulling mainly, so it sounds like the FP guage is a must.

I tell ya, it's nice to have one site that you can go to for information on all brands of diesel motors... I appreciate all the advice everyone has given... if there is anything else I should know please reply!

:thumbsup:

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Another question guys...

One of the things in the Banks kit that my BIL was asking about was the Big Head Actuator... I understand that it is for holding the wastegate closed longer and tighter but is that all it does.... Is there a better way or cheaper way to do things without harming the motor? What have all of you done with the wastegate on your trucks...

On my Ford I just disconnected the vacuum line, but it still leaks boost at higher PSI's... But in my opinion that helps to ensure I don't get to much boost and pop a head gasket... :D

haz-mat19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have to worry about the head gasket, they are good to like 50 psi. The lift pump can get weak, mine died at 80000 and the dealer replaced it for free under the 100k warrenty. If he is under 100k anything attached to the motor is covered just a little heads up ;Sweet .See ya

Billysgoat

Rolling Smokeshow
Reaction score
Ware the headgasket to this extent, LET THE ENGINE WARM UP... once the thermostat cycles one time give it hell. I got the headgasket on my truck from not doing that. Other than that with a single stock charger you shouldn't have many problems.

I think waht you are talking about with the actuator is a Boost elbow, this just lets you get the max boost from the turbo, should come with the Comp Box, ask and make certain whenever you order it.

On Fuel, get a gauge, they are worth every penny, Period.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online