What ohm range is our sending units?

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a tank I am installing on my truck that has a 5 bolt universal hole and I need to get a sending unit that will work with my trucks gauge. Anyone know what range would work for an accurate full to empty ohm range? Thanks

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I could use the same information for the very same reason. I went out and bought a sender and gauge before even thinking about tapping into the factory gauge cookoo

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have been running on only a rear tank and I am adding an aluminum one for running my wvo and a gauge would be nice especially the factory one.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I put my bed tank in a couple of years ago, it's a 150 gal tank off a Volvo semi . When I went to get a sender I thought they only came one way so I grabbed one and a gauge, then I found later they had different senders for that type. ( years ago there was only one type on the big trucks) It would be real nice if I could just wire the thing into the factory gauge
I suppose I could wire teh thing up and reach down in the tank with a hook and pull up on the float and see what happens to the needle on the factory gauge.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's some info I have gathered off posts through the years;

1986-earlier the sending unit is 73 ohms empty, 10 ohms full. These are actual measurements, I believe it's sometimes listed as 90 ohms-10 ohms.

1987-up 145 ohms full, 22.5 ohms empty. It's also listed as 160 ohms full and 15 ohms empty. The guy in the post who did some research on his unit(sorry can't remember who it was) got 31.8 ohms directly on E, 94.2 ohms @ 1/2, and 181.5 ohms on F.

As you can tell, so long as you get a unit that's in the ballpark ohm wise, it should work ok.

Last edited:

tenlug

Reaction score
Just went thur this. Franklin's numbers are very close. Went thur the Pick-A-Part checking. Steve

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a 10-180 ohm sending unit would probably work. Looking at a universal one for 25 and free shipping.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
To my recollection there were actually three different cards, that followed closely, but not exactly with the model years. Notice also that the scale is in reversed direction for the two cards mention a couple of post back.

I was able to buy just the sending card for whatever ohm range a while back for the factory sender, but would have to check and see if he is still around.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also verified the ohm range between the stock 84 sending units in my truck and the ones I'm using out of a '89. I've only found 1 inexpensive gauge for 'em: VDO 301216 is about $25 / autometer 5718 is about $45.
Make sure you pay attention to which reading is full and which is empty. For example; I used 89 sending units with my 84 gauge cluster so 5/8 full on the gauge = empty, and they go clear to the left of the E when full.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin