What is too long?

Rollin Coal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my motor **** the bed yesterday. I've found a couple candidates but I'm worried about them not being ran in a while. What is an acceptable time period for a motor to have sat for?

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
One thing you should check if they've been a truck for a long time is that water didn't run down behind the hood and into the air cleaner bolt.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my motor **** the bed yesterday. I've found a couple candidates but I'm worried about them not being ran in a while. What is an acceptable time period for a motor to have sat for?

Depending on what kind of environment, anywhere from over-night to forever.

Engines kept in a reasonably dry, reasonably heated, building can sit for decades and be no worse for the experience.

But, even in a perfectly climate-controlled building, such things as intake and exhaust should be well-protected from insects and mice; it is completely amazing how much trash a bug can pack way back into some hidey-hole and pack it full.

Also, mouse ***** can eat a hole through a battle-ship. LOL

Rollin Coal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the latest one is a full truck but it has pine needles all over the engine even the the hood is kinda on. I can get it for $500 and I have the cab sold for $100 and I'm sure I can get a good dollar form scrap from the rest(there is a box too)
http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...s-1993-Ford-F-350-Crew-Cab-W0QQAdIdZ201147982
Or this one he said he JUST took it out. so who knows... I'll offer him $300
http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...EL-ENGINE-1992-F-350-F-250-W0QQAdIdZ201729337
(keep in mind these are canadian prices although the dollar is par and the mileage is KMs)

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck sat for 5 yrs. I check that the engine wasn't seized and pull started it and drove it the 34 miles home. The truck cost me finding an air leak on a tractors fuel system.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine sat for almost 2yrs before I started working on it and it sat in a junk yard for who knows how long before that. It has a bunch of quirks but overall it runs pretty good.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
start it first for the whole truck run a drip feed of good diesel to the fuel pump if itll start then take that one plus if you havnt paid its their problem when it breaks

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too bad you're not closer... I'd give you my 6.9, I hate to see it sit and languish like it's going to again here... LOL
When I got it in 05, the truck had been parked since at least 00, that's when the plates ran out. Other than some leaky seals form sitting, it's been fine.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The motor in mu rig now had sat on the upper desert for probably a year open to sand and rain. That didn't matter at $78.50 for the motor but.... When I asked the a$$hole why he changed the motorhe said in very bad english... Ess because I drive to mexico.. my home so muuch and ess has lots of miles on it..... Well I got it home and pulled the heads. Lots of rust and water in the cylinders so... I hand crank it just to clean the rust out so I can drive out the pistons....-cuss The motor stops turning. I crank it back and forth... Not going to make a 360 degree spin... Then I see number 5 piston not moving.......-cuss:mad: Pull pan and find a broken rod at the crank. Yea... High mileage... The ******* broke a rod and didn't tell me but... It didn't do any damage other than the rod so... I sleeved all 8... Lined bored... Decked block and installed turbo rods... Runs like a scaulded dog thats for sure... Someone here said I should have driven back to this nice guy and told him I painted that motor and installed it... And boy-o-boy does it run fine....:sly I think I would have just kicked him in the sweet spot a few times instead..... That'll help you find your way back home where you belong....:eek::angel:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got two running fine that both sat for at least 2 years, through 8 difference seasons and wild termperature swings with the only protection being the hood of the truck.

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
luckily we don't have messicans in canada haha
are you thinking of getting another 7.3 or a 6.9?

if i could do it all over again i would have gone 6.9 just for the added peace of mind that i could bore the block with total comfort if necessary... for reasons like what gary said

off topic, i did a bunch of work a couple years back in st. mary's but we stayed in london, cool place. every day i run into somebody else from that area, pretty strange LOL

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I know I'm a little way's out east but a guy I know has a rebuilt 7.3 done at the local Ford dealer with 7000km on it...He said he has the receipts to prove it....Probably get it for $1000 or less....It's still in a small Ford school bus. I would have had it myself if the had the dough right now. He bought it for a spare for his 94 wrecker but he has since left the towing business and sold the truck.