What is this for? (pic)

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
So here is the adaptor plate that bolts up to the bellhousing and the back of the 6Bt. On the left (drivers) we have the hole for the starter but on the right, what is that smaller hole for? There are 2 tapped bolt holes on each side of it. This originally had an auto... putting a bolt action on it, can I just fab a little cover for this?

Thanks all

You must be registered for see images attach

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think its an inspection cover, did this come off a standard? When we put a new clutch in a new 6.7 six speed and that cover had to removed to unbolt the DMF.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
yep make a cover and enjoy. I had one on the nanny goat and it had a cover over it. I never did take it off - figured it was for some application that I didn't have like an auto...

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
cool. Since the atf cooler is mounted on the block right by there I was thinking that maybe they had some plumbing going through there... but I could not imagine why they would route that through the bell.

Cover it, I shall.

wayfarnorth

Reaction score
Not that anyone cares at this point since its an old post, but I think that hole is for using a barring tool made by Snap-On (Blue Point to be exact) P/N YA9565A about $50 Turns the engine over by hand.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that anyone cares at this point since its an old post, but I think that hole is for using a barring tool made by Snap-On (Blue Point to be exact) P/N YA9565A about $50 Turns the engine over by hand.

The cover is also used to loosen the bolts on the backside of the DMF of a 6.7 six speed. Its like eight 10mm bolts I think. Cant remember exactly

FordCummins

Reaction score
It's to remove the bolts that hold the flex plate to the torque convertor on the automatice. The smaller hole to the right of that (has a plastic plug) is the one used for the barring tool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online