What is the cost of used oil conversion

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of burning used oil in my 1993 F-250 IDI non-turbo, wanted to check on the costs and what goes into putting it on. THANKS

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
i spent about 200 dollars on my set up but i bought a gear pump from nothern tool that was about 170 but im going to be replacing that pump someday and mounting that pump on a tank in my truck bed

Attachments

• IMGP0804_resize.JPG
    IMGP0804_resize.JPG
    339.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMGP0814_resize.JPG
    IMGP0814_resize.JPG
    258.6 KB · Views: 28

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of burning used oil in my 1993 F-250 IDI non-turbo, wanted to check on the costs and what goes into putting it on. THANKS

Please elaborate on what you are meaning by "costs" and "putting it on"
I haven't really spent much on anything. You can throw wmo into your tank and run immediatly on it but it's necessary for the longevity of your truck fuel filter(a very expensive filter) that you filter the wmo as well as you can before you load your tank with it. I've designated a tank for wmo usage and am installing a filter unit on that tank's fuel line. I let the wmo that I get settle for a while in a clear container so I can remove any water possibly contaminating it. I then pour the wmo through a cotton sheet to remove large particles and fill a 55 gal drum with the wmo. Then I'll pull the top 40 gals from the drum and run the last 15 gals through my process again. Then I'll pump the earl into the tank with an electric pump pressure forcing the wmo through another fuel filter.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
if you are talking just the truck there are many ways of doing it but all basically do the same thing if you want to run 100% year round, heat the fuel. i added a separate fuel system with an in bed tank and seperate fuel pump and filter. when my truck warms up some i hit a switch and the fuel relays kicks me to 100% WMO.

general cost
fuel pump - 110
fuel tank from junkyard - 50
plate heat exchanger - 40? i think
fuel valve - 2 at 55 each
fuel line - ~50
fittings - ~ 30
so my total was running around 400
running on free fuel........priceless

now like mentioned you can just add this to your fuel up to about 50/50 mix maybe more if your truck likes it on a stock system. i just went all out to run completly on it and i can tell you i have made that money back and been able to just drive more without crying at the pumps on long trips. it took some investment and time but my doller goes further now.

even with all that there are some risks to running WMO. depending on where it comes from you might not really know what is in it and there can be some issues with carbon build up in the cylinders. fuel filters have a shorter life span as well. i feel it is well worth it and has worked for me just want people to know the risks as well. i also did all the install myself so no labor costs, i am sure if you were to swing by a garage and ask them to do this for you they would laugh you out of there.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like any type of fuel oils other than Diesel #1 or 2 or biodiesel need to be heated. I am in no way qualified to make this blanket statement, it is just intuitive and based on people's troubles with cold oil and blends. Roboto is right regarding veggie oil with respect to having food and often water at some level in it. It really depends on the source. As far as being thicker, than hot gasser motor oil, yes it is much thicker, gear oil, most certainly thinner, about the same as room temp 15w 40 or SAE 30 in my experience.

tierhog

Reaction score
New to this site but ran my first 50/50 and filtered it through a pair of levi's.
Its a 2003 7.3L No running issues at all.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New to this site but ran my first 50/50 and filtered it through a pair of levi's.

Right on! hopefully there won't be any negative effects in the long term for your cat or your computer management system.

SuperDuty335

Reaction score
:eek: You are awesome! Definitely keep us updated. You can get a nice filtration setup on eBay for about $60. It has three filters inside three glass tubes so you can see the action. That's what I'm getting

childildersj76

Reaction score
I have been using synthetic motor oil for years how well does it burn or has any body tried it. it would be nice to use it instead of hauling it of for recycle.

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can burn synth?? Let me know, 'cause if you can, I got to get in on that. We all (everyone I know anyway) use synth here in the Boise, Idaho area, and I'd like to start using it.

tierhog

Reaction score
Hell I burn SYN, ATF, 2 Stroke...lol. I dont have CATS. Heck..dont have a muffler lol. I am still chipped at max setting. I wont exceed 50% though and I am in Ca..so temps are very mild. I plan on running a 55g drum through a hand pump, through a oil relocator from napa so I can filter down to Oregon 101's numbers. I am running out of Levis lol

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. That's what I want to start doing. I want to burn anything I can get a hold of, spit, oil, dish soap, etc., LOL