What does this noise sound like?

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like I have a valve train noise. I want to say I’ve heard this noise before in a video and it turned out to be an exhaust valve guide or something similar. Likely wrong.

My guess is a loose rocker arm is being noisy against a push rod and they’re slapping into one another

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
That sounds like a noisy diesel bruv.

But yeah sounds like a rocker tap. Hopefully it's not a cam follower that's not pumping up.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree sounds like what would be loose valves unfortunately there not adjustable

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to tell on the video, but I think I can I hear just the slightest tink tink tink tink...

Not a knock, but a slight metallic tapping.
Yup, that’s the noise that I’m referring to. It’s a metallic tink.

Is it safe to drive it like this or should I take it apart sooner than later?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be honest with you I'm not entirely sure. Mine may have just started doing this intermittently. From what I hear, the rocker arms mounts are prone to wearing prematurely, so I may try replacing them all with 7.3 style.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it safe to drive it like this or should I take it apart sooner than later?
I don't have enough service to watch the video until I get to town later. If is a lifter collapsing that could be a hard question to answer.

I have seen them go for years without getting any worse, I have also seen them make it less than a minute before complete valvetrain carnage.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not till you get to the front of the engine do I hear the tink tink tink metallic sound.
I hear that on mine in the front also, but very faint.

Interesting to see hat you come up with.

Goat

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the f250 out for another drive today, took about 3 good sessions of cranking using glowplugs and pedal pressed to the floor. Cranked longer than I should have on the 3rd round but it kept trying to fire. It continued to pull fuel from the rear tank the whole time.

Here’s another video where I think the metallic tink tink is very audible.

I have a stethoscope and used it around the injectors, areas on the block and on the valve cover. Didn’t hear anything like the noise that I’m hearing in their video.

It only comes when it’s warm at operating temperature

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It only comes when it’s warm at operating temperature
When the oil gets warm and thins down it could allow it past a bad lifter seal more easily.

A stethoscope can be a handy tool on a gasser but I would think it would be hard to differentiate what your hearing on an idi.

James

silverrex4

Reaction score
Had same issue and posted. Turned out to be 1 blown lifter and 3 or 4 bad lifters with the retainers starting to fail. Take the rockers off and push rods and send a camera down and see if the lifter retainer is starting to come apart. Check out my photos, and you can see. It's the loud thump from intake that turned into light tap to eventually "Its a problem" lol keep us posted. Could be easy fix before thinking the worst.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online