What does this noise sound like?

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not till you get to the front of the engine do I hear the tink tink tink metallic sound.
I hear that on mine in the front also, but very faint.

Interesting to see hat you come up with.

Goat
Goat, does your noise only come on At operating temperature?

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had same issue and posted. Turned out to be 1 blown lifter and 3 or 4 bad lifters with the retainers starting to fail. Take the rockers off and push rods and send a camera down and see if the lifter retainer is starting to come apart. Check out my photos, and you can see. It's the loud thump from intake that turned into light tap to eventually "Its a problem" lol keep us posted. Could be easy fix before thinking the worst.
Thanks, I just read through your thread, and I’ll go back to it when I do that inspection.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Goat, does your noise only come on At operating temperature?
I haven`t noticed the sound lately. But think it was when cold start up. I`ll pay attention tomorrow morning when I crank her up.
Suppose to get down to 30 tonight. 24 tomorrow night. Have some Storms blowing in over the mountains from commiefornia.

As far as noises, I get the whomp whomp noise when it is idling. Rolled 347K today, so anything is possible. But from reading through the threads, it`s from the intake and maybe Valves.

She runs ok, and when I turn the Key to off, it all goes away...LOL

Goat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86