What do you think of this truck

Evilgt

Reaction score
Just got back from looking at it.

Windshield cracked. Inspection is due. Front tires need replaced. Two rear tires need replaced. Both rear fenders a little dinged up. Mushy brake pedal almost makes it to the floor before it has pressure. Driver side window motor inop. A/C inop. Both front fenders a little dinged up. Passenger side hood spring/latch is messed up. Carpet is pretty stained. Headliner ok but a little saggy. Glow plug light never came on.

Starts nice, no smoke, no rust. no major leaks under the hood is all original appearing with no major leaks.

The three other trucks that I called/emailed about never responded or called me back. -cuss

I need to find something this week.

kyle

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like an ok fixer upper.your in Texas,so likely don't need a 4x4.just plan on a full idi tune up (fuel costs too much to mess around today) tires,and some odds and ends.
did you test the coolant for SCA's while you were looking it over? how they look? what did the owner have to say about diesel coolant when asked? did ya get the deer in the headlight look,records showing proper maintenance or something in between lol?
you'll be up to 3 - 3500$ quick if you want to properly fix everything,tune and flush everything etc.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
NO WTS light and fired right up no smoke no nothing, hmmmmm I find that pretty fishy.

Did you check and make sure it wasn't started before getting there?

Guy might be hiding something.....

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
NO WTS light and fired right up no smoke no nothing, hmmmmm I find that pretty fishy.

Did you check and make sure it wasn't started before getting there?

Guy might be hiding something.....

Good point. i read the no WTS light but nothing clicked for me. no pun intendedLOL. don't all these idi's give a little puff of white on a cold start up? i know mine does. mine makes no smoke when i start it when warm.

Evilgt

Reaction score
Pretty sure I heard the glow plugs clicking and it took a good 3-5 seconds to start. I let it run for 30 seconds or so and then restarted it and it fires right up.

The truck is LONG so it may have had a little puff of smoke that I didnt notice sitting in the cab. However it idles fine and didnt smoke at idle.

Didnt ask if they had been using any kind of DCA.

The folks with the 86 dually got back to me and its sold. Bummer.

kyle

Evilgt

Reaction score
Good point. i read the no WTS light but nothing clicked for me. no pun intendedLOL. don't all these idi's give a little puff of white on a cold start up? i know mine does. mine makes no smoke when i start it when warm.

It was 111 out today so I'm not so sure I would call that a COLD start. How about a luke warm start. :D

kyle

Evilgt

Reaction score
I was thinking 1600. All of the A/C is there so I should be able to evac it with our old R12 machine, add some 134 adapters and charge that sucker full of 134.

The wife wants kiddo #3 and I'm ok with that. So we are selling my Cummins Ram to get rid of the payment and I need to find a replacement truck.

I once owned a 89 IDI and loved that truck.

kyle

colorado_joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once owned a 89 IDI and loved that truck.

kyle

I'll sell you an '89 IDI for 2K, local pickup :D

SUCKER!!! :rotflmao That '89 is a piece :rolleyes: It can't tow without overheating, it has no AC, it's bushings are all shot giving it this cool hipster lean to it o the right, and it has a mirror that points to the ground everytime you close the door.

Kid #3?? You're going to need one of those conversions with four rows of seating!

I'd say if the engine's in good shape on the '90, and you can get it for a good price, then it may not be a bad deal.
The AC you can fix, and perhaps pick up all new interior to make it look fresh for the family.
...See how low he'll go on the price. Or keep looking on craigslist...

(sidenote: Fred Emich is signed up for NASA comp school this weekend)

Evilgt

Reaction score
I'll sell you an '89 IDI for 2K, local pickup :D

SUCKER!!! :rotflmao That '89 is a piece :rolleyes: It can't tow without overheating, it has no AC, it's bushings are all shot giving it this cool hipster lean to it o the right, and it has a mirror that points to the ground everytime you close the door.

Kid #3?? You're going to need one of those conversions with four rows of seating!

I'd say if the engine's in good shape on the '90, and you can get it for a good price, then it may not be a bad deal.
The AC you can fix, and perhaps pick up all new interior to make it look fresh for the family.
...See how low he'll go on the price. Or keep looking on craigslist...

(sidenote: Fred Emich is signed up for NASA comp school this weekend)

Dont temp me. That old farm truck is a cream puff compared to some of the trucks that I have looked at lately and it cost you half of what the yahoos are asking for their junk down here.

We will be up that way later this month. Hopefully I will be giving Rich some money for that Saleen and then flying up in the next month or so to pick the car up. Maybe I should fly up there and just buy my old green truck back and tow the Saleen back to Texas with it. :eek:

kyle