Ratio???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got one of each and only got to vote once. :(

as this vote is not for the presidency, i dont feel bad about asking which one you choose...
but im pretty damn sure who you DID NOT vote for last election LOL

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My old van had a 3.54 axle; my truck has 4.10's. As to which is better...it depends on how you're using the truck. My van was perfect with 3.54 gears; OTOH it had a C6 and was mostly a highway cruiser...I might have even done well with 3.07 gears.

My truck does well with the 4.10 gears especially when towing, although I wish I had an extra gear on top of 5th gear for when I'm on the highway and empty...

mcghan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i also have both,4.10 on 90 dually,5 speed,11 ft utility bed truck,makes for a very good tow vehicle,3.55 on 87 4x4,4 speed with gear vendor o/d,wish it had 4.10 so i could run a bigger tire,i am running 235/85-16 on both trucks

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
as this vote is not for the presidency, i dont feel bad about asking which one you choose...
but im pretty damn sure who you DID NOT vote for last election LOL

I chose the 3:55s as that's what the '85 has and it's my runner. The '86 is still under the knife.

No sane working man voted for what we have in Sacramento or Washington.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4.10 with 35" tires & ZF-5spd. Works good! Speedo is off about 7mph.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there is a hidden advantage to having 3.55 gears. What is this advantage? Well I suspect that back in the day, people who had trucks with 3.55 gears were more likely to turbo them. For instance my truck with 3.55 gears is rated to tow 7000lbs compared to the same truck with 4.10 which can tow 9000lbs. That is a big difference, especially by today's standards.

In it's previous life, my truck was used for towing a 5th wheel. Since I knew the PO, I understood that the whole reason that he turboed it was because of the lack of power, especially going up hills. Had my truck had 4.10 gears instead, well maybe the need for a turbo wouldn't have been so readily apparent... I bet a turboed 3.55 truck will tow comparable to a NA 4.10 truck. Maybe we should do a poll to see how many people here purchase their 3.55 trucks with a turbo on it already vs 4.10 trucks with a turbo (not including factory turbo trucks). Does my logic make sense? :D LOL

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
3:55's....it needs 4:56's and a 5 speed to move anything tho lol

Ridiculous. Mine has 3.55:1 and a turbo added by PO and it's still a dog towing compared to my 460 truck with same gears and taller tires. Granted I only tow about 5000 lbs, but I don't see more weight somehow making the IDI fare better as some people seem to think big blocks are not practical compared to an IDI for heavier weights. A lack of torque only gets more noticeable with more weight, and in my experience my 460 can run flat out all day but my IDI will melt itself if I try that. I recall blowing past big rigs and minivans up some very steep hills while towing, granted in 3rd and screaming at high RPM, but accelerating. The IDI on these same hills is screaming at high RPM and slowing down the whole time while EGT creeps towards meltdown. These hills make a small block full size car work real hard to hold speed, if my memory is correct.

I'd like to know what it take to make an IDI with 3.55:1 gears tow nice. I want that nice 2000 RPM or less cruise and to not be crawling up hills. I know for a smogger 80s 460 that probably put out less HP than a 60s 302 it takes under $2500 to make a pretty mean torque engine with a pretty straightforward build. What does it take to get an IDI to a similar 500+ ft/lbs range? It seems people say either more fuel and boost and hope she don't blow or just gear it to all hell and don't be in a hurry. Maybe I just don't understand diesels but I think it's insane that a 420+ cubic inch engine can't easily, cheaply, and reliable make at least 1 ft/lb per cubic inch. 190 HP and 388 ft/lbs from a 94 IDIT is about what 60s small blocks were putting out. I can't help but think I'm missing something.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there is a hidden advantage to having 3.55 gears. What is this advantage? Well I suspect that back in the day, people who had trucks with 3.55 gears were more likely to turbo them. For instance my truck with 3.55 gears is rated to tow 7000lbs compared to the same truck with 4.10 which can tow 9000lbs. That is a big difference, especially by today's standards.

In it's previous life, my truck was used for towing a 5th wheel. Since I knew the PO, I understood that the whole reason that he turboed it was because of the lack of power, especially going up hills. Had my truck had 4.10 gears instead, well maybe the need for a turbo wouldn't have been so readily apparent... I bet a turboed 3.55 truck will tow comparable to a NA 4.10 truck. Maybe we should do a poll to see how many people here purchase their 3.55 trucks with a turbo on it already vs 4.10 trucks with a turbo (not including factory turbo trucks). Does my logic make sense? :D LOL
The problem with 3.55s and towing is that reasonable towing speeds (60-70) you are not yet to 2k RPM so its real doggy even with a turbo. I have found that these trucks perform best at 2-2300. To run in that RPM band towing I either have to drive too fast in 5th or too slow in 4th.
4th is what I stick to if I am real heavy.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck originally had 3.55's: swapped to 4.10's to aid in towing my fifth wheel. IMO, 4.10's and 35" tires are a great compromise between towing power and freeway rpm. Now I've sold off the fifth wheel for a slide in camper, and am back to 3.55's. Great for driving around unloaded, but not sure how it would fare with a bunch of weight behind it.
This is all with 35" tires.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck came with 4.10s. I'm swapping to 3.55s. I think with a 5 speed it will be a good compromise. It should cruise around 2k in OD and if I need to drop a gear, 65 should be about 3k in 4th. That should be doable for heavy towing keeping EGTs down. Given most of my miles will probably be empty or light, I'll take the fuel economy and deal with downshifting a little more. The turbo should help that situation a bit. [emoji6]