What are the 6.2’s most common problems and their solutions?

Reaction score
I really need some help here. I know nothing about 6.2’s and locating information is more difficult than I thought it would be. I would like to know anything and every thing that is prone to fail as well as any special tips I should be aware of to prevent failure. I do plan to upgrade as much as I can, so feel free to shout those out at me as well.

nitrohogg

nitro ******
Reaction score
they are great motors as long as you keep them cool! make sure that radiator stays clean!! I refuse to change a motor in these trucks unless they buy a new radiator!

nitrohogg

nitro ******
Reaction score
just did a 6.2 in a flatbed tow truck and got an aluminum one for a couple of hundred from SPI through my guys a autozone commercial.

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 6.2 N/A (small piston not large) chevy (1983) 3/4 ton. I bought as a project to give to my son. He bought a stang instead. I joined online (the diesel page.com) this is a really good source of information about the 6.2L, 6.5L and Duramax diesels. The subscription is either 29.00 or 39.00 a year. It is well worth the money on the information you can get. Plus the editor has run 6.2 and 6.5 for years.
gsgIDI

Reaction score
I saw that, but I was not sure if it was just some kind of gimick. I am still considering dropping the money, but I have not even seen the truck yet. so I will hold off on spending anything until it is in my yard.

By the way, what does 6.2 N/A mean? I have seen it mentioned before.

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lonesome7.3
The N/A stands for naturally aspirated which means no turbo. The outside air is fed to the intake manifold with no assistance. The 6.5L are the ones with the turbo's. I would check to see what year model the engine is they had two sizes of pistons large and small pistons. The smaller pistons get the better fuel mileage than the larger ones. Mine is a 1983 original engine not rebuilt or crate engine. On the diesel page.com their is a section like oilburners that has a market place and retailers that can help with rebuild parts as well. I hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of any more assistance to you. Good luck with the 6.2L. gsgIDI

Reaction score
Thank you for the information. I did not know NA meant the same with diesel engines. What was the reason for the larger pistons? Was it a power thing? Being since mine is a military truck I doubt fuel miliage was an issue.

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am not sure about the change, but thedieselpage.com editor can tell you why the change. He is a knowlegeable person about the 6.2L and the 6.5L as well as the new Duramax diesels as well. Sorry I could not answer your question. gsgIDI

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
i had a 6.2 L for about a year it kept shearing the flexplate bolts or backing them out than the block cracked where the starter bolted to it so i gave up on it

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
i have been told that the block cracking where the starter bolts on is a common issue being the 6.2L is not a true diesel block it is cast from a weaker alloy than a diesel block would normally be cast from. And due to the higher compression of a diesel the starter has more torque and the block can't take the abuse of course this could have just been an issue exclusively to the blocks on trucks sold in canada as i know there are different quality standards with auto makers between different countries. And about the bolts in the flexplate know one had even heard of that before.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have been told that the block cracking where the starter bolts on is a common issue being the 6.2L is not a true diesel block it is cast from a weaker alloy than a diesel block would normally be cast from. And due to the higher compression of a diesel the starter has more torque and the block can't take the abuse of course this could have just been an issue exclusively to the blocks on trucks sold in canada as i know there are different quality standards with auto makers between different countries. And about the bolts in the flexplate know one had even heard of that before.
the flywheel "kickback" is the cause of the starter mounting breaking.
GM does not hold a monopoly on this. IH wisely built a adapter plate between the block and the trans to mount the starter and trans. I've replaced the adapter 6 times in 20 years of wrenching. It happens, not often, but it beats losing a block but it is still a bear to change.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828