92-93 E350 down in the SoCal desert

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
Was trying to not use this sub forum when I thought the only issue was that I might be sucking air before the electric lift pump (something I added a couple years ago), but now I see that it's also in limp mode (pale OD light).
What I've done,
Fuel issue - pulled the pump intake hose and ran fuel from diesel can. Started and seemed to run fine. Reconnected to hard line coming from the tank and it ran ok for awhile then started to surge. If it dies it doesn't start well, ie lots of turning over and about half throttle, then starts but will die again.

Limp mode - this has been an issue for awhile but the occasional times it's happened I've been able to open the fuse block in the engine compartment and press down on the relay then it has worked fine. I sometimes think that a hard start sets it off, but hard to say. Now it won't change out of limp mode, what has worked before is having no effect. I've been searching for another relay but am not finding one listed anywhere near us.

Our personal situation - we live in it and at the moment are on some BLM land in triple digit temps. We do have another vehicle we can use as a runner for supplies but have no town of any "real" size close. Also have a limited amount of tools onboard.
We're not personally at risk, just dealing w/ the hot desert unpleasantries and working on it at night/early mornings.

What would help - knowing how many possible leak, or clog points there are in the line from the tank to the location of the old mech pump and any way to test them w/o just replacing things (that we may not be able to find out here).

And thoughts and suggestions on how to deal w/ the limp mode. I do have a volts meter and splicing tools but no other electrical equipment.

Thanks everyone, I know of no better source for information on the rigs we have.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Dim O/D light all the time is no power to the TECA, which i what that relay you mess with to make it stop is. Could a bad relay, something wrong with the socket in the fuse box. Or it could be the fuse that feeds it. If I remember correctly, the fuse that feeds the TECA is also the same one that feeds the fuel heater in the filter head. It can short out, blow the fuse and take power out to the TECA. If 5he fuse is blown, unplug the heater and replace the fuse. Hopefully the transmission comes back online at that point. These are the first thing, and the easiest to check. As a reminder, don’t drive it in limp mode, that is the quickest way to kill the transmission, which will be a few grand to rebuild, and then you still have to fix the electrical issue…

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
Thanks! Have a new relay on order from the closest napa. Also a fuel line separator, they don't know what o-rings I need unless I bring one in.

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
Seems that I have the air leak fixed and a "better" fuse has stopped the dim overdrive light. The fuse that was in there had some damage and corrosion but seemed to be intact. I replaced it and after finding/fixing the fuel line air intrusion it's been starting and idling smooth. We're finally able to get out of the desert and head for cooler temps.
Thanks Snicklas, for being the only one to reply to this call out . . . I'll remember.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.