What about a Ranger O/D unit?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The Ranger OD goes *AHEAD* of the 4-spd trans.

I don't think the 420 lb-ft is anything to worry about unless you are doing tractor pulls. AFAIK, the ZF-5s are rated for 420 or 470 lb-ft anyways.

IMO, the ranger OD/UD really shines with a wide-ratio trans.. like an NP435 because you get the low reduction and are able to split gears.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This motor is not putting 420 lbs-ft to the wheels but I bet its a good deal more than that at the wheel. Maybe I'll talk to the folks at Advance Adpater, I know they'll want to sell me one but if they think this application is going to be tooo tough for it I bet they'll not want to warranty it. That would tell me what I need to know. I agree very much with your take on the Ranger and the T19/NP435. I think I'd be spending a lot of time in 3rd over at 45-50 mph. For anyone that's ever used a ranger or similar, do you have to shift both sticks simultaneously to grab a gear or how does that work out? I'm wanting input..

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
This motor is not putting 420 lbs-ft to the wheels but I bet its a good deal more than that at the wheel. Maybe I'll talk to the folks at Advance Adpater, I know they'll want to sell me one but if they think this application is going to be tooo tough for it I bet they'll not want to warranty it. That would tell me what I need to know. I agree very much with your take on the Ranger and the T19/NP435. I think I'd be spending a lot of time in 3rd over at 45-50 mph. For anyone that's ever used a ranger or similar, do you have to shift both sticks simultaneously to grab a gear or how does that work out? I'm wanting input..

With a aux, until you get good , or if you're in a spot where steering with a knee or elbow isn't a good idea going up you can just grab a whole gear in the main then drop the aux down . Going down you usually are grabbing a handful at a time anyway unless in the hills in which case , do the same way, drop a whole, and then see if you didn't loose too much to be able to grab the split ( when you get real good you'll know ahead if you can go for the half gear on the way down , but if you blow it and you're pulling heavy, you loose two)

Now if you want to watch a master, one of our members over on the big truck board has an old B model Mack with twin sticks, and has a nice movie of it right here Slightly different shifting requirement with that beast as those old truck were hauling 73,280 pounds with engines that had about the same power as our pickups ( and a heck of a lot less than these new pickups ), so it was all in the gears. The main box has even gear spacing so the brownie is shifted through its range then the main box is shifted and it starts again.

The power range in our engines is much wider than on those old things so that many gears are not generally needed, but a few in between gears would sure come in handy at times.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Robert, thats good info. I read Zigg's article on the Ranger O/D he had in his old NA truck, it sounded like you had to shift both sticks at the same time but I didn't see how that could be. I really thought he'd comment on this thread and have an opinion on its suitability for our trucks since he's actually had one. He's MIA though maybe gone fishin' :) Good writeup on the Ranger O/D there by the way.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I checked with Advance Adapters and they are currently not shipping the Ranger Overdrives, but they have not discontinued the product they say. They've outsourced teh gear production and hopefully they will have the units available again in a couple months....sucks, but it may be for the best. It was very tempting for me to spend that money and right now I really don't need to. I guess I'll throw the T19 in there by itself and see if I'm happy with it or if I think I still need O/D. Also meanwhile I'll be looking for any good brownie boxes, GV or US Gear units in used but good condition...or a used Ranger for that matter. Thought I'd pass that info along to you guys,
JD

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...... meanwhile I'll be looking for any good brownie boxes, GV or US Gear units in used but good condition...or a used Ranger for that matter. Thought I'd pass that info along to you guys,
JD

WELL last I recall, Cheaper Jeeper, had a underdrive for sale and you could use that and tall gearing in the rearend thus enabling OD like performance!

I think it's about 17% UD as opposed to the OD unit. Looky here http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22209

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats the exact opposite of waht I want to do though. I was really getting psyched for perhaps the 27% O/D. Well, I guess maybe I'll get it as a Christmas present for myself if I'm still not happy with what the T19/3.55 combo can accomplish fuel mileage wise. If it gets 15 in town consistently and 19 on the highway at no more than 60 like Justin's truck I may just be happy with it, but the twin stick is cool...that big truck feel. Mature I know...

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Thats the exact opposite of waht I want to do though. I was really getting psyched for perhaps the 27% O/D. Well, I guess maybe I'll get it as a Christmas present for myself if I'm still not happy with what the T19/3.55 combo can accomplish fuel mileage wise. If it gets 15 in town consistently and 19 on the highway at no more than 60 like Justin's truck I may just be happy with it, but the twin stick is cool...that big truck feel. Mature I know...

Well, my fuel economy isnt as good as it should be. 15-19 if your fairly easy on it, and like you said, no more than 60mph. I think my ******* fuel injector is what is messing my fuel economy up right now. Last fill up was 15.3mpg (15.28).

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better than mine, I've been in the 11-13 mpg range lately. If I got 15-16 in mixed driving and 18-19 in the granny lane on the highway, I'd be pretty happy.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely this would work fine. I am considering one for my 4x myself rather than fart with finding a ZF with Ultra low 1st that fits the diesel.

Someone here has one but it's an underdrive and you could just use taller gears and split the gears as you drive.....

That would be me. I have an underdrive for sale. With a 3.55 rear end it would give you the equivalent of 4.10 gears in underdrive. With 3.08 gears it would give you the equivalent of 3.55 gears in underdrive.

I even have the T-19 to go with the Ranger, both drivelines for it (std cab long bed) AND a heavy duty crossmember to support the Ranger.

I also have a 2WD ZF-5 for sale as well.

PM if interested in any of the above.

Last edited:

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
As far as the brownies go, do they have a provision for a mechanical speedometer gear, or are they being run using a T-case or VSS to get speedo info?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
As far as the brownies go, do they have a provision for a mechanical speedometer gear, or are they being run using a T-case or VSS to get speedo info?

My brownie has a speedo cable fitting on the output housing, although I don't need it since I have a '92 with the electronic speedo in the diff, but I noticed in the manual for the 5831 it didn't show a speedo fiting on that housing, so I asssume it's a standard spicer output shaft housing with a speedo adapter. One thing about spicer, they are good for standardizing parts ;Sweet same thing probably fits a few zillion other boxes.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the ranger. I loved it for towing, but it was a pig to drive around town.
Unless you can do a bit of fabbing, it's not too easy to put in. You have to move the T-19 back 7" to accommodate the Ranger unit, and cut into the floor pan. you have to shorten the rear driveshaft, and lengthen the front one, and also move the crossmember back.

You can have a look at my article with a few pics on how to do it here...

..click here..

Zigg :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online