What about a Ranger O/D unit?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can this work for a 2WD T19? I remember Don had one for his T19 4X4, does anyone else have one? They sure are a lot cheaper than a US Gear or a GV. I know they may not be quite as strong since they're only rated at 420 lbs-ft. At $1390 or maybe cheaper if I can find a used unit, it sounds like a bargain. I don't mind it being a twin stick. I can drive a manual pretty well.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can this work for a 2WD T19?

Absolutely this would work fine. I am considering one for my 4x myself rather than fart with finding a ZF with Ultra low 1st that fits the diesel.

Someone here has one but it's an underdrive and you could just use taller gears and split the gears as you drive.....

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
I was wanting the US Gear, but I'm thinking I might get a ranger and then use a double acting air cylinder and on-board air to shift the ranger.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
thanks for the info that sounds sweet lets just say
ive got the moose pump and intercooler and various other items will i and could that surpass the 420flbs or what i would like some thing to handle a bit more or would a medium duty auxilary trans be more benificial

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
ive got the moose pump and intercooler lowered and various other items will i and could that surpass the 420flbs or what i would like some thing to handle a bit more or would a medium duty auxilary trans be more benificial
That is my only worry, is that it isn't nearly as stout as the others...

FordGuy100

Reaction score
ive got the moose pump and intercooler lowered and various other items will i and could that surpass the 420flbs or what i would like some thing to handle a bit more or would a medium duty auxilary trans be more benificial

You could break the 420 ft. lbs. of torque mark with a healthy turbo IDI with the pump turned up some. I would be careful. Someone on here said they were going to put some sort of medium duty axillery tranns in, dont remember who...we should see what they say.

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
I emailed Greg Miller at High Impact gear and I was a little upset when he told me that the 2WD tail-housing for the US Gear was discontinued, and the only provision might be a sensor. With a mechanical speedo, I'm stuck unless I put a T-case on a 2WD truck, or get some kind of pulse counting motor to drive the speedometer...

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could break the 420 ft. lbs. of torque mark with a healthy turbo IDI with the pump turned up some. I would be careful. Someone on here said they were going to put some sort of medium duty axillery tranns in, dont remember who...we should see what they say.
The Spicer 5831 is one of the smaller aux transmissions and is very do able.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet it can indeed take a bit more than the 420 lbs-ft its rated for, plus that's based on the number at the wheels I imagine, maybe at the trans. I've never seen anybody even break 400lbs-ft of torque at the wheels in an IDI. It would be interesting to see if any of these are holding up behind even mildly modified PSD and Cummins.