Went to the dark side....

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
So, what about the cookies I keep hearing about. Everyone says the darkside has cookies.....congrats on the buy Jon. What kind of stock power rating did they have on those that year?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See how much you still like it when it eats an injector cup. Yeah.. I was worried about the electronics. LOL Turns out that's not really the weak spot. Welcome to the world where FUEL, OIL and WATER can all mix.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Well I haven't found the cookies yet... Its rated at 235 on the valvecover. I haven't heard about those mel, so far everyone said they are super reliable high milage engines. I'll amit on the bottom end its a slug, once some boost builds it takes off though. The ol idi had balls the size of bowling balls comparedto this. I was pleased towing 9700#s worth of farmall and trailer doing 65 where the '85 would have been working on 40...

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are really good high mileage motors. They cost a lil more when they need somthing but do run very well in high mileage. I would try make sure you dont over charge the glow plugs make sure there is no sorts that can happen you have to replace the whole gp harness under the valve cover 90% of the time its melted from the oil at those miles and maybe a rear main some time but if the starter is strong thats about all you need to worry about. Again Good Luck thats a nice rig;Sweet

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I plan on changing the coolant to the fleetgaurd fleetcool red coolant, and its wet around the valvecover gaskets so I'll do them when I get a few extra dollars

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First thing you should do is check the UVCH harness, pull the valve covers and check them, they have a habit of partialy coming loose. Inspect the outer harness laying over the engine, they tend to fray and might short out.

Nice truck.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Im battling oil mixing with my fuel right now in my stroke, i done the injector o rings and i guess i tore one or two o rings because its still using ALOT of oil, so im going to do it over again,

If you replace the valve covers rock auto has a good deal on the doorman it comes with the uvch and the external pigtails, and its much cheaper than ford, alot of people say use ford only but i have never had a problem with the doorman,

If you ever need injector o rings buy them from diesel o rings.com

and the 7.3 psd is a very simple and easy to work on engine that will last forever, mine has 292K on it

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
before you get into the hop-up electronics, pm "Mike" and "94f450sd" (homer and rich) they have the most experience with OBS chokers. OBS trucks require brain surgery rather than a reflash like a '99 and up truck. also, OBS motors are non-wastegated but have the larger compressor head. I had a company '97 F450 twin line wrecker assigned to me, the darn thing was a slug under 2500rpms and became a banshee past that. unfortunately, redline hits at 3200rpm.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks towcat. Mine is the same way. I got used to the idi breaking the tires loose pulling out...
i figured out really fast on these PSD's you have to drive them like a "detroit 2 stroke" you gotta be having a really bad day and you're taking it out on the truck......shift into gear, drop the clutch, hammer it to redline, shift and repeat. you can't hurt it. as long as everything is in the parameters of the electronics, it won't let you hurt the motor.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Anything under 2000 rpm is useless lol mine makes 5 psi at 2000 rpm wot and mine tops out at 12 psi at 3000-3200 rpm and de fuels at 3400rpm

as long as im unloaded i will shift at 2000 rpm and it does fine like that, but when im pulling the trailer and race car when i come to the mountains i got to downshift

Stock for stock idi psd, the idi kills on the bottom end but psd kills on the top end,

My idi with its mods beats the **** out of my psd all around mine is a little sluggish in the low rpm but thats because of the lower compression, but my psd get MUCH better fuel milage i have seen 17 at the worst with the psd and its ext cab dually with 4.10 my idi is reg cab and 3.55 gears but its getting alot of fuel and alot of boost

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726