Well found my camper hauler

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice rig! If you don't like the visor....well, I know a guy... ;)

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Friends dad had a master key for their two fords. Had a separate, unique key for each one, too. Master had ignition A on one side and ignition B on the other. The cylinders don't have tumblers on each side. That double key is so drunk hillbillies have a better chance of getting it in the ignition. I think Ford called that target marketing :D I'll hazard a guess you know a locksmith that could set you up with that. Then when you sell a truck, you aren't giving a key away to the truck you own.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How are you going to run the dmax vgt hydraulics.... I'm kinda wondering how that can be done...:D:thumbsup:

You met Brandon. nuff said. And the visor will most likely be GOING. not a fan. I cant see traffic lights without one on my truck, visor cant help.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice Russ! Going to haul a TT or 5'er..... or a slide in? Either way you'll love that big F350. I love a good project man, keep us up to date on how it goes.

Heath

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this sounds bad, but some of the Ford manuals tell you to take a large chisel or screwdriver, get behind the chrome part where the key goes in, and strike the screwdriver with a hammer to break the chrome piece off. This is a variation of the slide hammer method. It breaks right off, and then you can get in there and push the release pin and take the tumbler assembly out. I have done it on several trucks with no ill effects, and most of the parts stores sell new tumblers with a set of keys. The first tumbler set of bought was fromt he dealer, and I was surprised out rough the casting and the chrome was, so the next set I bought on another project I got from the parts store a little cheaper.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Russ.. Talk to calvin about using a putty knife bent a certain way to cancel out the wheel lock so you can turn the rig. I....... Hotwire under the hood and your done...

Last edited by a moderator:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ.. Talk to calvin about using a putty knife bent a certain way to cancel out the wheel lock so you can turn the rig. I....... Hotwire under the hood and your done...

I do know this one. But I have 6 keys to try and a lockpick set, once its out of lock the rest is easy, I just hope it runs.
heath, slide in, its on my truck now but with the utility box its a ***** to on and off. and I dont need a 4x where we camp. And it needs to be lower, our bassets have little short legs.

chris_wei17

Reaction score
did you manage to get the truck started? incase you didn't, this is what I did to get mine running when I lost the key for my 94 IDI turbo. I was fixing to set up a push button start so I already had the switches but I'll try and get the general idea across to you since it seems like alot of parts on trucks this age range are pretty similar.

Drill out the retaining pin as closely to the diameter of the pin itself. once you've got it good and hollowed out, a few good pulls on the key cylinder and you should be able to shear whats left of the pin and remove everything. this is really just to make sure that you dont lock up the steering wheel while youre driving. the rod that actually moves and actuates the ignition switch when you turn the cylinder was on the top of the steering column assembly in my truck. you can push it to the running position from there or after this next step. bolted to the bottom of my column was the ignition switch with only two bolts i believe. once you pull that down its pretty self explanatory. theres a little metal stub that gets pushed forward for run, and to a spring loaded "start" position as well as all the way towards what would be the steering wheel for accessory. you can also slide the plastic actuating rod into the run position from the bottom of the column now. the rod is what grabs the stub and moves the switch. you can just use this as your ignition until you get a new key cylinder or you can pull the wires out and run a push button. I'll explain that somewhere else so I dont hijack your thread. hopefully this helps if you haven't solved your problem already.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Are you going to keep your current rig as well?

And are you going to do a build on the motor for this one or are you just going to slap the d-max turbo on it and go?

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the origninal dealer for the truck is local and still in business, check with them and see if they kept the key cut codes on file. My local dealership kept them on file for about 25 years. If they have them, they should be able to just cut you a brand new set of original keys for less than $10.

Otherwise, take every Ford key you have and see if you get lucky. You may be very surprised when you stick one in and wiggle it a little bit and it turns. The door key from my dad's 91 F250 worked perfectly in the passenger door of one of my friends 93 Mustangs (brand new at the time). Ignition keys tend to be harder to get one to work, but it is not unheard of especially as these get old and worn out.

Very true, have 4 90's Fords here and often I realize I am using the key for another one to drive it!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So easy answers first, Yes im keeping the current truck.

Will do a build of some sort on the diesel. The 460 in it has a burnt exh valve, going to fix that. Engine wont be sellable if it isnt good, and it still has a lot of power for a dead hole.
It has a bunch of no worky dash issues, gauges only everything else is ok, ac needs recharged.
Fired up in three clicks of the solenoid and 2 full cranks. Trans shifts GREAT and the GV works ,but I need an operators manual for it, any ideas.

It took me less than one minute to pinrake the ign lock, with a sabersaw blade of all things.

Now this thing has a emblem on the tailgate that says ROLLALONG , what was this package?
And it looks like they may have had cupholders riveted to the doors but they are gone
Looks like it blew a left rear tire and damaged some of the fender but nothing too severe.
I will post pics after the camper that is on it is gone, its really rotten, But all appliances work.
And as luck would have it it has the same odd sized door that my camper desperately needs.
Need some blue front armrests ,left window is inop, left reear door cloth portion is gone, and the seats are shot, needs a new rear sliding window.
Rear tires are brand new, fronts 90%,needs a tie rod or 2 and right side balljoints. Someone just did the timing chain and waterpump,belts,hoses ,so fixing the 460 and using it while gathering parts for a weekend swap next march is on the schedule.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did you manage to get the truck started? incase you didn't, this is what I did to get mine running when I lost the key for my 94 IDI turbo. I was fixing to set up a push button start so I already had the switches but I'll try and get the general idea across to you since it seems like alot of parts on trucks this age range are pretty similar.

Drill out the retaining pin as closely to the diameter of the pin itself. once you've got it good and hollowed out, a few good pulls on the key cylinder and you should be able to shear whats left of the pin and remove everything. this is really just to make sure that you dont lock up the steering wheel while youre driving. the rod that actually moves and actuates the ignition switch when you turn the cylinder was on the top of the steering column assembly in my truck. you can push it to the running position from there or after this next step. bolted to the bottom of my column was the ignition switch with only two bolts i believe. once you pull that down its pretty self explanatory. theres a little metal stub that gets pushed forward for run, and to a spring loaded "start" position as well as all the way towards what would be the steering wheel for accessory. you can also slide the plastic actuating rod into the run position from the bottom of the column now. the rod is what grabs the stub and moves the switch. you can just use this as your ignition until you get a new key cylinder or you can pull the wires out and run a push button. I'll explain that somewhere else so I dont hijack your thread. hopefully this helps if you haven't solved your problem already.

Never was a problem just didnt want to ruin a good column, I have done lots of column work, it isnt fun but with the proper tools not too bad. And I remove the steering lock parts when I do my own, dont like that feature at all.