well, change in plans... I think :dunno

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got both heads off after reefing pretty hats on them. I figure I should get them checked out and rebuilt for all the work I have done. Heads are a pain! I also bent an arp stud. So I need all new ones I guess. I guess I'm looking for advice. I will have some money coming in pretty soon, but not enough to rebuild and balance the motor. I could start on doing that, or do that after I get my Lineman job in a few months. I want the truck running, so I just thought of buying a motor that runs good and throwing it in there for the time being, plus then I would have two motors :) but idk what to do. Any advice?

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got both heads off after reefing pretty hats on them. I figure I should get them checked out and rebuilt for all the work I have done. Heads are a pain! I also bent an arp stud. So I need all new ones I guess. I guess I'm looking for advice. I will have some money coming in pretty soon, but not enough to rebuild and balance the motor. I could start on doing that, or do that after I get my Lineman job in a few months. I want the truck running, so I just thought of buying a motor that runs good and throwing it in there for the time being, plus then I would have two motors :) but idk what to do. Any advice?

huh?

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you picked up GOOD RUNNING engine then you could take your time rebuilding yours and do it right...saves alot of work.

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the cost of a good running motor in you're opinion? And would you get a 6.9 or a 7.3? Turbo or non Turbo

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try a wrecking yard maby they have a runner in a truck at the yard, Its worth more to them to sell a runner than a core. might be worth a shot.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the cost of a good running motor in you're opinion? And would you get a 6.9 or a 7.3? Turbo or non Turbo
Guy near me has a very high milage non turbo 7.3L that was running when the driver crashed the truck and he's asking $400 for it.

Pic A Part gets about $200 for a v8, add another $50 if you get the warranty. That way if it's junk you can keep going back and getting another one till you get a good one. Seem to be plenty in the yard here to choose from

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is pulling and replacing the motor a big deal? if it's anything like the head gaskets, idk if I even want to tackle that at this point

Hardass559

89 7.3 banks turbo
Reaction score
its not that big of a deal since youv already got the heads off your moter that will come out easy iv always pulled the radiator support to put a moter in not a big deal if you dont have rust problems