weird injector

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a set of injectors to pop test for a friend, but one of them has no threads:dunno. It's just a strait shaft where the threads to go into the head should be, it looks like it has been machined. They were pulled from a running truck a couple days ago. Has anybody seen anything like that before?

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe someone removed the threads from the injector body to get a stuck nozzle cap out of the cylinder head. That's my guess based on the supplied info.
You must be registered for see images attach

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After seeing your pic, I'm still saying my initial asumption that the nozzle cap was lodged in the cylinder head so they turned down the body threads to remove the nozzle cap. You can tell in your pic it's a smaller diameter so that throws out the above "sleeve" theory. Why don't you ask the guy that removed them?

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After seeing your pic, I'm still saying my initial asumption that the nozzle cap was lodged in the cylinder head so they turned down the body threads to remove the nozzle cap. You can tell in your pic it's a smaller diameter so that throws out the above "sleeve" theory. Why don't you ask the guy that removed them?

That is what I thought at first, but I would have thought that he would have said something. The sleeve idea also came into my head. I'm going to call him tomorrow to find out, I just didn't know if anybody had seen it before.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea where this sleeve idea is coming from. It's a machined steel injector that screws into a cast iron cylinder head. There are no sleeves.cookoo

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if a nozzle screws off when you pull the injector, you grind an injector bodys threads off to screw the nozzle back on and then pull straight out. No sleeves to be seen :rotflmao

he probably tossed them all in including the one that was ground just to see how it faired or give you some practice popping them...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The last post makes more common sence... A injector with the mounting threads will not stay in the heads when you try to run the engine... It will bolw out of the head causing all kinds of damage to the injector line and return lines. That funny injector was made into t tool to remove a stuck injector nozzle from the heads.... Nice looking tool too....:sly If you thinking about getting rid of it I'm interested in it... PM me if so interested...:angel:

gandalf

Reaction score
I'll go with the homemade tool idea. I have one from the time I changed out the injectors. One came out without the tip, and I had to make the extractor. Towcat told me how to do it. I simply used a bench grinder to take the threads off. Then it will slip down into the hole ;Sweet (quit thinking those thoughts), contact the tip, and thread on to it. Once it's threaded on all the way it will break the tip loose, and you just pull everything out.

Pics below.

Attachments

• DSCF7689.JPG
    DSCF7689.JPG
    787.8 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF7687.JPG
    DSCF7687.JPG
    846.9 KB · Views: 16

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow Ken... I'm surprised your engine was running the way that injector was leaking backwards like that... Any chance the injector hard line was hot to the touch when the engine was running...:sly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online