Water pump explosion!

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I let a friend borrow my truck to pickup a deuce and a half and (luckily) it let loose before he picked up the trailer. It chucked a belt, took out the fan shroud and there is literly inches of side to side play when you grab the fan :eek:

I got to test out the new tow pig, 03' Excursion with a 6.oh no and it towed it flawlessly - that was nice. Its home safe and sound - but now its time to fix it.

I shop at Oriley's as I get a killer discount and I know everyone there - I'm looking at the Murray® Temperature Control - Water Pump Part # CP4018 with a lifetime warranty. Is this a good pump or should I be looking dealer only as I did with the thermostat I did when I first got the truck?

Next question - I have a new in box fan clutch from the parts store, but I also have a set of Windstar electric fans. With a dead shroud should I just strap on the fans?

I'll get some carnage pics in the morning - dark and raining at the moment.

Thanks for the tips - I'm not overly concerned about getting it back together in a hurry, I've got a lot of work to do on this project:
You must be registered for see images attach

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the setup-

Wow - never seen one this bad before!

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hopefully that didnt lose your coolant and burn it up before he pulled over.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the ford reman water pump will likely be from the same rebuilder as a parts store. Napa has new for 75 ish and new delphi for 125, thing is they look identical when out of the box.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks - he didn't do any damage, I bought the truck from him some time ago and I know he kicks himself every time he borrows it from me - always says it drives so damn nice! Sad thing is that it does drive nice, the steering is much better than in 03' Excursion, that has about 2" of side to side slop in it...

I'll go with the lifetime rebuild - I wanted to do a coolant flush anyway, hehe...

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
If you have a little time to wait for shipping, check Rock Auto. There is a 5% discount posted on this forum and they have a variety of new and rebuilt pumps available in a wide range of prices. I got an AC Delco pump (probably Delphi) for a good price without having to drive anywhere to pick it up.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive started putting on new vs rebuilt water pumps. Typically it's a very slight cost difference between the two. I also always buy new alternators and starters now also. No rebuilds anymore.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get damn near employee pricing @ Oriley Auto - I use RockAuto if I plan ahead, but having a store only ten min away where everyone knows you by first and last name and what vehicles you are working on can't be beat. If I need to use the warranty I don't have to mail anything anyway - I did just use RockAuto for some 78' F350 calipers as Oriley could NOT get them anymore, starting to dry up I guess....

What about the electric fans? I'm sure I can pickup some pep without having that gigantic fan on there - plus my shroud is toast...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Best to ask more questions about using electric fans. Sorry bout the mess and sure happy the fan did not go thru the radiator.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
There have been several discussions about electric fans here, mostly ending with the thought that electric can never pull the amount of air needed if you tow heavy or uphill. The stock fans are overkill 90% of the time, but that last 10% is when you will be glad you kept it on. And shrouds are easy to replace if you already have the fan off.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best to ask more questions about using electric fans. Sorry bout the mess and sure happy the fan did not go thru the radiator.

Yeah - luckily my brother's boss was scrapping some stuff that had been sitting for a long time and one of them happened to be a F250 IDI truck and I grabbed the rear D70 with powr-lok, the chrome 8 lugs with good tires, the injection and glow plug wiring, the radiator, shroud and some other misc crap. Gold mine!

There have been several discussions about electric fans here, mostly ending with the thought that electric can never pull the amount of air needed if you tow heavy or uphill. The stock fans are overkill 90% of the time, but that last 10% is when you will be glad you kept it on. And shrouds are easy to replace if you already have the fan off.

Well, everything around here is mostly flat - there are just a few hills that are steep, but usually its one hill in either direction and its only a half mile long. I typically pull a light duty (3500lb axle) tandem axle car trailer with a half ton on it, so trailer weighing in around 3K with the wide kit and slide in fenders LINK and the typical 1/2 ton coming in around 4-6k I'm either in at or around 10-11K with crap in the bed. I would assume that is totally within it's capability for a reg cab long box 6.9idi 4 speed truck with 3.54 gears... My fan clutch has been dead since I got the truck and have not had issues but only when I push it hard in the dead heat of the summer.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had to get a water pump I'd go with the local kragen or whatever so I could look at it before I got it. I bought one off rock auto a few months ago when i thought the bearings in mine where doing and it doesn't look right - It's in a Gates box, but the casting looks clunky - hard to describe exactly but it just doesn't look right to me somehow. My guess is cheap chinese copy. I'd actually go for a reman over new I think - reman or new the wear parts (bearings, seals) are likely about the same quality, and with a new one you have the added risk that the casting/impeller/shaft is cheap copied junk that may be inaccurate or badly copied.