Water leak problem and how much is this truck worth like this.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Listen to what others have told you happened to them. I too had some coolant leaks that turned out to be me not installing the factory thermostat correctly. The copper end gose in the block. then the gasket is sitting on TOP of that. Just make sure the stat sits in the recess groove in the block. Carefully install the housings and use some sealant on those 2 bolt threads. Use ONLY the factory thermostat or you will have heating issues cause the other stats can't pass enough water to keep things cool. Can't really tell you where the coolant is leaking by the pics but you may have a gasket not cleaned off the front cover completely.

icemannocal

Reaction score
I just finished up second install, going to go watch Journey and the Doobie brothers in concert, drink copious amounts of beer while this thing dries and pray no leaks tomorrow when I refill.
Thanks for all the input and I will update tomorrow.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RTV has a serious issue with leaking esp behind the timing cover.

everyone told me not to use it, I used it anyway.
ended up with a month long fiasco, hundreds of dollars down the drain,

I used the permatex aviation, and BAM. George is your uncle.
JRW7.3CW

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truck is 94 with 113k and body is clean as they come? I don't want to mess with this no more...Interior is almost perfect and just put 2k into wheels and tires last week.
Has about a 4 inch lift on 35 inch tires
7.3 IDI with Banks turbo upgrade. Truck has been very well maintained

i wouldn't take a penny under 7k for that super clean,low mile,4wd,crew cab, turbo diesel truck.
i wouldn't sell it due to a little water leak either though.:D

George is your uncle.
JRW7.3CW

what about bob?

i use rtv on water pumps.haven't ever had any trouble......knock on wood?:dunno what have i never heard before?

edit.no wait.ignorance is bliss.don't tell me.i don't want my water pump to start leaking lol!:rotflmao

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
#@$k BOB! LOL

you know, ive used RTV on everything, for 20+ years. never ONCE had an issue.
on similar set ups as the timing gear cover.

now, I had an issue back to back.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
poor Bobs' really getting the shaft tonight!

oh man i just caught myself working still in the evening! im an addict!! maybe no matter how much help i hire,some things will never change.i dunno.

anywho,what's going on with RTV for ya?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nothing really wrong with RTV but.. Know where and how to use it before discounting its great applications. Nothing seals a pan or intake gasket better than RTV. Fact is RTV was what our oil pan gasket was from the factory. Sure nuff some gasket manufacturer came up with a pan gasket and Bobs your uncle try using it and guarantee it will leak. then you MUST PULL THE ENGINE to replace it with RTV.
The problem with RTV is it is slippery and some gaskets get squeezed out of place. TYP4 has preached this for years to not use it for the oil cooler header to block gaskets. I did use it these as everywhere else but I knew to use just a thin film of it where the gaskets are narrow. Also checking the gaskets for squish out makes a huge difference too. See a suspect area.. Do it over and be safe. My best gasket sealer is 3M yellow weatherstrip cement. Apply it to both sides of the water pump and gasket. Let it dry and them place the gasket on the pump. Now it wont move. Now apply a thin film of RTV to the gasket and water pump plate and use a stud to slide the pump in place. Next water pump job is simple. Slight wedging of pump from plate and its off clean. Maybe a little RTV to remove and brakeclean does a fine job here...

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score

sure.make me read a book you sob.lol.
so what jumps out at me are keywords (though perhaps not exact ones) from you,written there such as "warped" "dirty" "pitted"
those were probably much more of the issue you had than any rtv you used imo.

sure,you probably found something more forgiving to use on such metals to help get the same seal you normally would have no issues with, with flat and clean metal and rtv.again just my opinion though and you know what those mean lol.
anywho.sure is good you found and fixed that.what a ******.all's well,that ends well.;Sweet

Last edited:

icemannocal

Reaction score
Well I guess the second times a charm I hope, I just refilled with 4 gallons fleet charge and distilled water after flushing it out a fourth time and so far no leaks. I think my problem was new water pump was just a hair larger and hitting the bracket that holds vacuum pump and compressor, I had to file bracket down just a hair so it wouldn't touch water pump.I really appreciate everyone's time. Going to replace steering box next as it has a little play, never attempted one of these before so going to research here and maybe start a new thread.thanks again your time is much much appreciated....

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hylomar anyone?
To the op

Glad ya got it.