Water Injection Really?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alcohol injection systems is a specific brand of water/methanol setup. Click on the link.

Also ocnorb, are the Coolingmist nozzles any different than the Snow nozzles?

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Alcohol injection systems is a specific brand of water/methanol setup. Click on the link.

Also ocnorb, are the Coolingmist nozzles any different than the Snow nozzles?

I've never seen a snow nozzle. The cooling mist has a screw in jet that looks similiar to a small engine jet, but it looks tapered. I"m sure the Snow stuff is very good too. I was just speaking to what I have actually hooked up to a pump and witnessed. The CM nozzle sprayed a very, very fine mist in a 60 degree pattern with absolutely no dribble. The Mcmaster was a little less fine and it tended to leave a droplet at the base. As I am paranoid about hydrolocking, I immediately went to the CM nozzle.

wmoguy

Reaction score
I can take a pic of the spare nozzle I have if anyone is interested.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Go for it wmoguy.

ocnorb, did you build the Splash system and just use the CM5 instead of the mcmaster one?

I was thinking about looking for a nozzle with a built in check (they call them no drip) so it wouldn't open until there was 20-30 psi behind it. Our sprayer uses these and they open at 10 psi. The McMaster-Carr ones dont open til 70psi, but the pump used in the splash kit puts out 60 psi...

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Go for it wmoguy.

ocnorb, did you build the Splash system and just use the CM5 instead of the mcmaster one?

I was thinking about looking for a nozzle with a built in check (they call them no drip) so it wouldn't open until there was 20-30 psi behind it. Our sprayer uses these and they open at 10 psi. The McMaster-Carr ones dont open til 70psi, but the pump used in the splash kit puts out 60 psi...

I put everything together for the Splash system and bench tested it, but everything I read on here got me freaked out about hydrolocking so I ordered the coolingmist stuff. Got it from KT Diesel (i think its called) as they sell CM stuff at a much better price than CM. The kit included the stainless steel solenoid which I mounted right on the nozzle.

Here's the kit I got: http://ktperformance.net/i-6683801-coolingmist-stage-i-diesel.html

I called and they had no problem swapping the large injector out and sending the CM5 for the same price. It would be hard to put it together yourself for much less than this. I used a 15 gallon ATV agricultural sprayer tank- the motor from CM actually bolted right up to the flange even though it was much bigger than one that came on the tank.

I wouldn't trust a check valve...seen too many fail at work.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Maybe I can take a vid of both the nozzles on Saturday... we'll see how things go and if I can use the wife's phone long enough to get some good mist shots.:sly

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Search the PSD forum, someone on there has a write up and pics on a system he developed.

t-roymoose

Reaction score
I currently have 'Devils own' injection system on my truck. Right after I installed it I started messing with the system with the different jets that come with the kit. I have to say/warn about messing with the water to **** ratio. I will never do more than the 0 degree washer fluid. I was running the big jets that came with the kit and I was seeing a big difference in power then I devided to mess with the ratio. I probably saw about 60 to 80 more horsepower when I did that. I did a couple of short bursts and was excited. I was getting on the freeway and I did a long burst. The truck blew black smoke and I took off like a bat out of hell. I took the next off ramp and when I idled it was real rough but didnt have any loss of power. A week later I got dumb and did it again, this time it lost lots of power. When I went to go see why, I rounded the edges of a few pistons and took a chip out of the cylinder wall and propbably over reved too. OOPS!

Now the best part about idi motors, not everyone wants them. I got a used motor for $250 bucks complete! I just had to pull it out of the donor truck. I did hook the system back up but I put the smallest sprayer in and I dont use anything other than 0 degree washer fluid. Oh, and I only use the system once in a great while.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There have been a few threads on it. Iirc its even metioned who did it in this thread. Do a search on it and you will find some stuff.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
OK...as promised.

I rigged up the Mcmaster-carr nozzle just to show the spray pattern- its very good and seems to flow a little more than the CM5. The biggest issue is that you must install it INSIDE the intake piping. If it ever came loose it would become an intake valve/piston/turbo wrecking ball. The CM5 with stainless solenoid shuts off without any dribble. I believe the Mcmaster nozzle would also with a check valve or solenoid...

You must be registered for see images attach

Hopefully the video works- this is my first try so please let me know if it does not work!:thumbsup:

grog85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
water/**** injection

Thanks for the video shots, helps out a lot on the decision making

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online