water in WMO

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I am trying to get the water out of some oil that I have from a friend. I trust the oil is good quality since his pickup is new(ish).

My question is how long should I heat the oil to ensure the water is all out. Are there any distinct things I should be looking for?

Thanks
Thad

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Waste oil is cheap, why go to the bother of trying to boil out water? Dump the oil at your local parts store and tell your buddy to keep his oil out of the rain.

I had a buddy that had a 5 gallon bucket he had dumped oil in outside. Eventually it rained enough that there was n oil left in the bucket, just a grease slick on the ground.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
water and oil don't mix. oil floats on water. make a seperator flask using say a 2 liter soda botte or larger clear bottle. cut off bottom and mount a valve on it. make a stand to put bottle in. pour oil let settle for like an hour, probably less but hour is safe. drain water.
if you still really wanna boil, temp should be 300-350 no higher because oil can become explosive at temps of 400 and above( especially with the other flammable by products in oils). at that temp water will boil out and make noise. wait till oil is quiet for a bit. depending on how much oil let cool for long time

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Waste oil is cheap but I have limited reliable sources to acquire from, thus the above question. I think I will try and seperate as much as possible.

thanks guys

Thad

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dakotajeep I use a 5 gallon watercooler bottle, compression coupler, fittings, clear plastic tubing, and a ball valve for my separation unit. All items can be purchased at Home Depot. Oh, you can use an old milk crate as a bottle holder but you'll still need to make the stand( I set mine in crate between 2 55 gal drums resting on their tops).

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I am going to Lowes tomorrow....I have been trying to do this backwards. I just need to do it right the first time.....

Thad

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I can figure out my camera I'll try and post a pic of my setup tomorrow.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Sweet,

I am curious now. I am thinking of rigging up a golden rod filter. But my question is if I should dewater it first or filter it? I was think ing or running the filters one after the other. Is this making it too complicated. I would rather be 100% sure I am free of H2O!!!

Thad

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I'd separate the water first. Some crap will float to bottom with the water so less to trap in filter.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You can get waterblock elements for Goldenrod filter housings.
If you settle the oil out, most of the water will fall to the bottom. A setup like I run for my veg and occasional WMO does the trick. I took a 55 gal drum with a removable lid and has a fitting about 8" from the bottomI use that for settling, I let it sit a week or so and most all the water and crud falls below the level of the fitting, where I hooked up the pipe that goes through a shutoff valve to first a Goldenrod 15 micron waterblock filter , then to a 2 micron filter. What comes out is perfectly clean.
I can tell when the crud is getting too deep in the barrell when the Goldenrod starts to crud up quickly, then I top the barrell off with a little diesel to thin it out an finish the run, then scrape out the barrell .

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Letting it settle in a tank for as long as reasonably possible works well for separating water and oil. Anything you can do to have a clear sight of the material at the bottom will help, as will pulling your oil from a couple inches above the bottom of your holding tank.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pull my oil from the top of a 55 gallon drum. I have the advantage that International used a large filter / water seperator element before the smaller filter on the motor.

I've run quite a bit of WMO (currently running 100%) and have yet to change a filter.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Sweet,

Well I just went a put together a dewatering system. Its a clear 5 gallon water jug that I put a spout and spigot on. Total cost $25. I attached it to the wall in the outside storage room. Now I am waiting to get a 55 gallon drum to attach a hand-pump and my newly acquired Golden Rod Filter to, so I can have a supply on hand if I get enough "donations". I would like to run a 75% blend but i dont have the WMO on hand right now to do that.
My pickup runs way quieter on a percentage of WMO.....Currently I am at about 15% WMO.
Thanks for the imput guys.....
Thad

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online