Want to go back to automatic glowplugs

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that most tend to go to manual glowplugs with the old 6.9 system, but I'm stick of pulling my Banks assembly apart to replace glowplugs whenever someone borrows my truck. People are good at buying me the plugs, but I'm just sick of the hassle.

I plan on picking up a new controller and relay, but how do I get it back to pulling power directly, instead of through the push button? I didn't install the switch, got the truck like that. Thanks in advance.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got the wires for the controller still from the ignition? i can go take photos of mine if not and it shouldn't be hard to wire at all. the controller and relay wires are simple enough

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would like to use stock system, can't afford to purchase the 7.3 solid state stuff right now.

Don't know what all I have, there's a ton of dead end wires on the passenger inner fender around the relay. I do know that the controller is still in the head, and appears to have all the wires running to it.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, got to looking under the hood today. Looking around the relay, I found a snipped off purple wire, and a push fitting on the purple wire coming from the pushbutton that had been spliced. So I figured I'd bare some wires on the snipped off one, jumper it to the relay, and turn the key on. Glow plug light lit up right away. So I must have all the wiring intact for the factory system.

However, the light stayed on. Truck was warm, so after 6 seconds, I shut the key off, not wanting to fry another set of plugs. Did the relay stick, or is the controller screwed? Thanks.

CESMITH

1986F250 6.9
Reaction score
Glo plugs

Kas do your self a favor change to a 7.3 glo plugs and controler. I used a relay onthe glow plug lite,because the lite in the 86 cab is gronded,and the 7.3 controler gronds the wire to the wait to start lite . I also grafted the two wire harneses togther to get the rite conections at the plugs .it saves puting new plugs in when the wife wants to use the truck to help her friend. ED;Sweet

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i thought purple was to the wait to start light :dunno if its pink then its the controller wire which explains why it came on. Try jumping the relay from under the hood. you should hear it click on and click off.

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The old controller style has a high failure rate doesn't it?

If someone borrowed my truck and could not follow a few simple instructions on how to use the manual button for the glowplugs, I would have to consider if it was wise to let them borrow my truck at all.;Really

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Purple wire clicks the relay when I turn the key on. Tried again today.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another option: I wired a simple timer off of the manual glow plug button to a LED light. You push the manual button, and about 10 seconds later the LED lights up, telling you to get your finger off of the button and hit the starter. The ability to fry glow plugs is still there, but it's pretty obvious when the LED comes on.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did some trouble shooting, the controller is toast. I know that they were known for going out, but I'm going to take my chances. My previous 85 6.9 had auto glowplugs, and the only problem I ever had was that the glow plug controller wouldn't burn em at all, and I had a no start at 15*. Relay was fine, controller went out, as it went to the local diesel shop to get fixed. My cousin had an 83 for 7 years, replaced the plugs, relay and controller when he got it, never touched it again.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You're forgetting the $150 controller too.

I'm going to snag a 6.9 controller and take my chances. The pick and pull in town has a 7.3, I'm going there in the morning to grab a tach sensor for a buddies truck, and the entire glowplug system. Might pop the injectors too, just for the heck of it. They look pretty recent from what I could see before they closed tonight.