Wanna hear a real IDIOT story..?

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
The Idiot would be ME,...cookoo

So I have at 3:55 rear end from the Doner Truck that I wanted to install and loose my 4:10's. Yesterday I decide to take on that project. My son Alex and I tear into it and it is going very well, no broken bolts, or smashed fingers.

The Only difference I see is there is no sender for the antilock brakes, no biggie, everything else is a bolt in. The brakes look brand new, no leaks. So I cleaned the 355 rear end, paint it with Rustoluim Hammered, and about 5 hours later it is installed.

Driving it home I notice that there is not much RPM difference,..:dunno So this morning I pull the truck in the shop, jack it up and do a rotation check. IT IS A 4:10 rear, not a 3:55.

******* ME just checked the Door Tag, and didnt check to see if it was actually still a 3:55 cookoo

So for all of that work, I have a painted rear end and an anti lock brake light on,...that's it.

Just needed to rant,... Here are some pics:

Attachments

• IMG_0345.JPG
    IMG_0345.JPG
    692 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0352.JPG
    IMG_0352.JPG
    533.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0353.JPG
    IMG_0353.JPG
    577.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    477.9 KB · Views: 25

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Darrin......After Stuarts fiasco with his front diff...I'ld a thought everyone would know to "Pull the cover" and check....;Poke :popcorn :frustrate

tractorman86

Reaction score
nice!!!! LOL i guess it is a good time to R&R the other axle. cookoo would 3.73's be a viable option? i'm thinking about it and just dont know if it would do enough to justify it. i'm putting a turbo on, so it would handle the gear difference if i went to 3.55's but dont think i want to cause i do haul quite often.:dunno i would love to get ahold of a wrecked superdukie and use those axles but with no arms or legs it would get kinda hard to drive.:rotflmao

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Now,Real quick like, before too many people read that first post, change it up:
* I got real smart so I wouldn't have to crawl around trying to set up a new gear set in an axle housing on my back, so I swapped axles and put mine on the bench where I could set in a new 3.55 ring and pinion set nice and easy* :angel:

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahahaha!!!!
Darrin I think the diesel exhaust got to ya!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Hey Guys, Thanks for all of the support, I am glad that I am able to give yall some good entertainment. ;Sweet

Pretty funny, I was about an hour of completing the job and thought to myself, I never actuallly checked to see if it was a3:55, that would be funny if it was4:10's...., Ha,, Ha,...

I am actuallly OK about the mistake. I was really deciding if I wanted to do the gear swap yet, but decided to go for it for the Rally trip and save some fuel money. When we get home from the Rally, we are planning a guys weekend up at Silver lake Sand Dunes on the weekend of the 19th. So If I did the gear swap I was pretty shure that I would not be able to do the front diff in time to take it to the dunes.

Now I don't have to worry about, I will run with the 4:10's for the summer, hit the dunes, and hopfully do a truck pull. Then do the gear swap this winter.

Another option is to install a built E40D and run double overdrive and keep the 4:10's. There is one that I am watching well see if I end up with that or not, I should know by Monday.

Nick If Let me know what you want for the 355's LS. If it is just the center section, that would work even better than the whole rear end.

Anyway, thanks again for yer support! ;Sweet

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Darrin, this one has factory 3.55's
it's got your name all over it ;Sweet
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Ok, so now I'm not alone in trusting the door tag - welcome to the dummy club....LOL.....If I would have just done a ratio calculator online I would have saved my self some work..:rolleyes: .. Talk about being pissed off and then falling into a "simple" laugh.:rotflmao

masterbeavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are worried about the 4.10s, just go with a tire size 1-2 inchess taller, it will be like having 3.55s again. I have a story similar to yours. I hunted high and low for a 10.25 4.10 rear end at the junkyard to replace my 8.8 with. I finally found 4.10 gears, swapped out the rear end, and put a size larger tire on it. When I was done, the speed and RPMs were identical to before. I was soOOO mad, I thought I had bought a 3.55 rear end, instead of the 4.10 I wanted. Just put on larger tires, and you will be back where you started.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online