Wait to start light problem

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I've searched and searched, both on site and in my truck and for the life of me I can't get my WTS light to come on consistantly. It'll light every once in a blue moon but my glow plugs cycle every time consistantly. All the plugs were good when I replaced my return lines. Ill check the plugs again and replace any bad ones, but it starts just fine. I've replaced all the bulbs in the dash, and checked all the bulbs in that small panel. Its driving me nuts. All the threads on here basically say something about bad plugs or a bad controller. Any help would be awesome.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you know the glowplugs are lighting consistently? I would assume you are looking at the dash voltmeter to verify they are working? Just making sure. It's common for a inconsistent wait to start light, but it also coincides with the whole glowplug system being inconsistent also.

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
checked all plugs with a test light, the voltmeter on the dash bounces after around 10-15 seconds, a digital multimeter also bounces. that and the simple fact that it pops right off and we've had a couple pretty cold days so far, w/o being plugged in.

the wiring TO the light from the dash has continuity. i have NOT checked the wires off of the relay under the hood. from what i have found the wiring should be blue coming off the relay. correct me if im wrong of course

nightal

Reaction score
I have 1988 f250, the Blue wire goes to the WTS light, mine has a connector about 8'' from the controller it's a pin type, has a snap connector, yours may be loose or corroded, check your controller ground wire for a good connection also.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I have 1988 f250, the Blue wire goes to the WTS light, mine has a connector about 8'' from the controller it's a pin type, has a snap connector, yours may be loose or corroded, check your controller ground wire for a good connection also.

What he ^^ said. That connector has a habit of getting a crappy connection once in a while.

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well mine worked once today, then not again. so it may be that connector. i shall take a look see and hopefully figure this damned thing out

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after cleaning the connector, checking wire continuity from the controller to the dash, from the dash to the connecter then getting power to the socket i discover that my bulb was out. it must have went out after the last check of the bulb. so i went and bought some bulbs (sylvania longlife #74) popped em in and boom, i have a wts light again... i couldnt believe that it went out, oh well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle